Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when should i start revising for my GCSEs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

i was wondering, when should i start revising for my GCSEs? for example, when should i begin making notes for my real exams? i just had mocks before the october holidays, but didn't really revise hard as it was quite short notice, and i ended up hardly trying- and that is not like me at all. anyway, sorry about that rant.
    so, when should i start revision? i have barely touched my books in these holidays, and i do feel really guilty, but i watch youtube revision videos, and some of the youtubers say that you should take the holidays to relax and recharge. i'm really confused. have i left revision too late? i don't really have any revision resources on, really, any of my subjects, apart from the sciences. should i start making the notes for all my subjects now? and, if so, how long should i spend a day (during holidays and term time) doing this?

thank you so, so much for any replies xx
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is the point of mocks in October? You would have covered no content....

ReputationRep:
    You should be taking notes for your GCSE exams as soon as you started the GCSE content. There isn't really a "start date" for revision. Start whenever you feel ready, but don't start too early, nor too late.

ReputationRep:
    Start at Christmas and you’ll get straight 9’s. Assuming your revision technique isn’t totally inept.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have already started. doing things like notes of books of english lit, or looking over maths past papers because i know they are my weak points. If you start now began with weak sections of that topic and make sure it is stuck in your head before moving on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    Wtf is the point of mocks in October? You would have covered no content....
    i would think that the OP is in year 11, in which case they'd be having mocks on year 10 content.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    i would think that the OP is in year 11, in which case they'd be having mocks on year 10 content.
    That's would still be only half the course, absolutely pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Make notes after every lesson and keep them organised, so when you start revising hardcore, you will have organised notes with everything you need to know. Right now, just focus on what you've been learning. Keep the revision going throughout the rest of the year. As for holidays, you can take the Christmas holiday lightly, I'd say at most 4 hours a day, but February and all of the holidays after that, you really want to be using holidays to catch up and consolidate anything you're struggling on.
    So to answer your question, you should start now. Don't go crazy though because mocks aren't that important right now: I got Cs and Ds in my December mocks, in my actual GCSEs (May and June) I got A*s, As and a B, so if you do badly now don't feel like you're not going to be able to go from a U to an A.

ReputationRep:
    we've covered all the content for all my subjects; we're just going over everything this year. the only thing we haven't finished is science, as my class is doing triple, so our exams were on the double content.

ReputationRep:
    also, we began learning GCSE content in year 9 x

ReputationRep:
    dont freak out about Gcses just go steady.

I started properly revising in the February half term and then didn't stop until I had finished, but obvs you need breaks. don't start revising too early because you don't want to run out of steam.

I would say make notes if you feel you need to and maybe do some revision in the Christmas hols. I had mocks in January so had to do a bit of revision over Christmas, but mocks aren't that important. since you have already done mocks you could maybe start doing some revision after Christmas? just make sure that you give yourself enough time to revise and go over everything whenever you start lol but don't worry haha xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanababe78)
    we've covered all the content for all my subjects; we're just going over everything this year. the only thing we haven't finished is science, as my class is doing triple, so our exams were on the double content.
    I'd recommend making some notes while the knowledge is still left, but by the sounds of it you'll be doing purely revision in class, so there's no need to worry yourself yet.

ReputationRep:
    start revising now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k0zaf)
    start revising now
    Not the best of ideas, revise later on when the knowledge is fresh in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reversed Flash)
    Not the best of ideas, revise later on when the knowledge is fresh in your mind.
    Yeh but if you revise now you can get it out the way and when the exam date is closer you can go over it especially now that the (9-1) grading system a lot more content is needed than the old gcse (A*-G).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Start at Christmas and you’ll get straight 9’s. Assuming your revision technique isn’t totally inept.
    sorry to bother you, but, should i start making notes for all my subjects then? or should i be doing hardcore revision, i.e learning things off by heart? thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

i was wondering, when should i start revising for my GCSEs? for example, when should i begin making notes for my real exams? i just had mocks before the october holidays, but didn't really revise hard as it was quite short notice, and i ended up hardly trying- and that is not like me at all. anyway, sorry about that rant.
    so, when should i start revision? i have barely touched my books in these holidays, and i do feel really guilty, but i watch youtube revision videos, and some of the youtubers say that you should take the holidays to relax and recharge. i'm really confused. have i left revision too late? i don't really have any revision resources on, really, any of my subjects, apart from the sciences. should i start making the notes for all my subjects now? and, if so, how long should i spend a day (during holidays and term time) doing this?

thank you so, so much for any replies xx
    Start now

ReputationRep:
    sorry to bother you, but, should i start making notes for all my subjects then? or should i be doing hardcore revision, i.e learning things off by heart? thank you so much x
    Yes. Do hardcore revision. Then relax during the final term and do light revision plus homework. Knowing the entire GCSE before you’re learnt some of the remaining material will ensure you don’t start stressing continuously from January onwards. Preferably you only want to start stressing the week before then exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Yes. Do hardcore revision. Then relax during the final term and do light revision plus homework. Knowing the entire GCSE before you’re learnt some of the remaining material will ensure you don’t start stressing continuously from January onwards. Preferably you only want to start stressing the week before then exams.
    that means i should start making my notes, like, yesterday, right? haha, thank you so much, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    that means i should start making my notes, like, yesterday, right? haha, thank you so much, anyway.
    I summarised the entire CGP textbooks for all 3 sciences (about 180 pages each, roughly 550 pages total) into 80 pages of notes over 2 weeks at Christmas. You could do the same if you want, but preferably you want to ditch your social life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.