Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today I have had two drivers flash me trying to get me to move over on the above roads.

I join the A38M each morning for 2 miles for work it's 50 limit and where I join it eventually links up to two further lanes making me be nice in the third lane. I travel the limit and don't move because I only have two miles to travel and if I move to the left lane I'll get filtered off and the middle lane is signposted for different areas. Today I had a lorry go right up my car's bumper and flash for a mile trying to get me to move but I didn't because I'm looking at the sign and for the destination I'm going to it says stick in the lane I'm in there is a fourth lane to my right for around half a mile.

When the a38m rejoins the a38 it drops to 30 and again I sit in the right hand lane of the two lanes because the left hand lane is being used for joining and leaving the road at the same time and I dont want to add to the do congestion of that. I again travel the speed limit or a few mph over and have some one flashing me to move. My fog lights are off and my rear lights work and my indicators are off.

Am in the wrong or victim of impatient and bad drivers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny2404)
    Today I have had two drivers flash me trying to get me to move over on the above roads.

I join the A38M each morning for 2 miles for work it's 50 limit and where I join it eventually links up to two further lanes making me be nice in the third lane. I travel the limit and don't move because I only have two miles to travel and if I move to the left lane I'll get filtered off and the middle lane is signposted for different areas. Today I had a lorry go right up my car's bumper and flash for a mile trying to get me to move but I didn't because I'm looking at the sign and for the destination I'm going to it says stick in the lane I'm in there is a fourth lane to my right for around half a mile.

When the a38m rejoins the a38 it drops to 30 and again I sit in the right hand lane of the two lanes because the left hand lane is being used for joining and leaving the road at the same time and I dont want to add to the do congestion of that. I again travel the speed limit or a few mph over and have some one flashing me to move. My fog lights are off and my rear lights work and my indicators are off.

Pretty painful to read as I couldn't find a single comma in all of that. From the examples it sounds like you're giving excuses for lane hogging to suit your own convenience and ideas of courtesy.

Ultimately, the vehicles already on the motorway have the right of way, so don't worry so much about moving over to let people merge, it's their responsibility to do so safely. By inducing a change in speed by slowing down or moving lanes and forcing the vehicles in the right hand lane to change their speed, it is actually more dangerous, especially for things like lorries.

ReputationRep:
    Today I had a lorry go right up my car's bumper and flash for a mile trying to get me to move but I didn't because I'm looking at the sign and for the destination I'm going to it says stick in the lane I'm in there is a fourth lane to my right for around half a mile.
    I'm pretty sure that lorries aren't allowed to use the 3rd lane of a three-lane motorway, or the 4th lane of a four-lane motorway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I'm going to hazard a guess that NX172 is on to something, here. I'm not entirely familiar with the road in question, however it does sound like you've been lane hogging. Could you perhaps show us the section of road on Google Streetview, with a more detailed explanation of where you joined, and which lane you were in? Perhaps draw us a diagram?

ReputationRep:

It seems what you were doing was quite logical. If you get idiots tail gating and flashing you like that just put on your fog lights, they should soon keep away from you.

ReputationRep:
    You had two drivers who should not be on the road. It is a pity you are unable to record their behaviour and go to the police.

ReputationRep:
    If the lanes are marked with designated destinations, you should be in the correct lane for where you are going.When cars are merging, and ahead of you on the slip road, you should back off and let them join. If you're ahead, keep going. That is the correct procedure. Failure to do that on you test, or advance test could result in a serious fault,even dangerous if you force them to stop.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same with drivers flashing me, mainly truck drivers.
    The other week I was driving to meet someone, I stuck to the speed limit going through a village (I have a black box :l) and he was just constantly flashing his lights, I didn't give a **** because if he hit me then he would've been in the wrong for trying breaking the speed limit and driving without due care and attention.

Just ignore them, if they hit you then it'll more than likely be their fault, unless you brake checked them lmfao

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like its your own fault for hogging the lane

ReputationRep:
    I believe I have located said road on streetview. Here I would personally remain in the left hand lane, however since the speed limit here is 30mph the other road users are being impatient. If you did move over they would probably be breaking the speed limit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.