5 hours

Minimum storage requirement
    1TB HDD, but will look at 512GB SSD

Weight limit
    Light not to heavy

Used for playing games?
    Yes

If yes, what games?
    League of legends but not that often, windows pc for that.

Touchscreen needed?
    No

Are there any specific ports you need?
    Don't mind

What devices do you have currently?
    iMac, Galaxy S7, reason for windows is because I got software that is windows only.

I have been looking at the following.
    http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapto...laptop/cn57006
    http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapto...aptop/cn757001

Also the HP Omen, basic one which is 1050 gtx and 1TB HDD

ReputationRep:
    When I say gaming I mean very rare as pc will be for that if i get to do any at all. I am edging for the dell 15 7000 which has the 940MX and 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd, let me know your thoughts thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I am no Engineering student but I know a fair bit about hardware. If the software you are using is Engineering then I probably don't know much about the programme. LoL only requires a 3Ghz CPU, 512 MB GPU and 4GB of RAM so most modern mid-ranged laptops can run LoL no issue. If you let me know a little bit more about usage I could make a better suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piña colada)
    I am no Engineering student but I know a fair bit about hardware. If the software you are using is Engineering then I probably don't know much about the programme. LoL only requires a 3Ghz CPU, 512 MB GPU and 4GB of RAM so most modern mid-ranged laptops can run LoL no issue. If you let me know a little bit more about usage I could make a better suggestion.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeh LoL is not that bad tbh, mainly software will be autocad and solidworks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medavidcook)
    Thanks for the reply. Yeh LoL is not that bad tbh, mainly software will be autocad and solidworks
    Let me just check the requirements for both of them and I will be back.

Using the laptop for anything else?

ReputationRep:
    I use a HP pavilion with 8gb ram and 1tb memory and it runs League, overwatch and loads of other games fine. Struggles with Warframe sometimes. It did not cost £800! Think more £400!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Let me just check the requirements for both of them and I will be back.

Using the laptop for anything else?
    no thats it as have an imac for main only need windows cause some software wont work on mac

ReputationRep:
    Also just seen this

https://uk.store.asus.com/gaming/not...128gb-ssd.html

can get it under £800 with student discount

ReputationRep:
    Autocad requires a 1Ghz+ CPU for both the x32 and x64bit versions with an 8 GB RAM requirement. I cant see much for GPU requirements. This is all being taken from the Autodesk® AutoCAD 2018 requirements page. Some people on the forums are running it on Pentium4 CPUs (That CPU is nearly older than me).

Now, this is where your wallet is really going to take a plunge. Solid works recommend an i7 with a high clock speed. I have not read much around the programme but it appears to like a high IPC and clock speeds.

This is a list of CPUs and comparable performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

They also state 16GB or more (2 x 8GB) is needed in addition to a Solid State Drive (SSD), maintaining at least 20GB free space after the installation. Javelin recommend:

NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (mid-range) or NVIDIA Quadro M4000 (high end)
    AMD FirePro W5100 (mid-range) or AMD FirePro W7100 (high end)

Just another thing to note on the CPU side of things:

"The rebuild process in SOLIDWORKS is inherently linear (parent/child relationship of features) and therefore can only use a single core. Therefore rebuild performance can be increased by having a faster clock speed of the CPU"- Javelin

People on the forums who are using this CPU for SOLIDWORKS are putting more voltage through chips like the 7700k,6700k and 4790k's and hitting 4Ghz+. Some functionality in the software likes hyperthreading according to Javelin.

"For best performance, a Solid State Drive (SSD) can provide up to 10x faster performance" - Javelin

What Windows PC do you have? This programme sounds like a CPU torturer.

ReputationRep:
    • intel Core i5 (7th Gen) 7300HQ 2.5GHz Max Turbo 3.5GHz Quad Core Processor - i5's are decent for gaming etc. This programme is pretty beefy and likes high clock speeds, hyperthreading and ideally a "k" chip. The i5 has no hyperthreading or a much (if any) overclocking headroom

ReputationRep:
    Autocad requires a 1Ghz+ CPU for both the x32 and x64bit versions with an 8 GB RAM requirement. I cant see much for GPU requirements. This is all being taken from the Autodesk® AutoCAD 2018 requirements page. Some people on the forums are running it on Pentium4 CPUs (That CPU is nearly older than me).

Now, this is where your wallet is really going to take a plunge. Solid works recommend an i7 with a high clock speed. I have not read much around the programme but it appears to like a high IPC and clock speeds.

This is a list of CPUs and comparable performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

They also state 16GB or more (2 x 8GB) is needed in addition to a Solid State Drive (SSD), maintaining at least 20GB free space after the installation. Javelin recommend:

NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (mid-range) or NVIDIA Quadro M4000 (high end)
    AMD FirePro W5100 (mid-range) or AMD FirePro W7100 (high end)

Just another thing to note on the CPU side of things:

"The rebuild process in SOLIDWORKS is inherently linear (parent/child relationship of features) and therefore can only use a single core. Therefore rebuild performance can be increased by having a faster clock speed of the CPU"- Javelin

People on the forums who are using this CPU for SOLIDWORKS are putting more voltage through chips like the 7700k,6700k and 4790k's and hitting 4Ghz+. Some functionality in the software likes hyperthreading according to Javelin.

"For best performance, a Solid State Drive (SSD) can provide up to 10x faster performance" - Javelin

What Windows PC do you have? This programme sounds like a CPU torturer.
    Thanks for that my windows pc is spec below,
    i7-8700K 6 core
    16GB Ram
    GTX 1070
    with 500GB SSD and 1TB HDD

This is a gaming rig, that doesnt get much use as only playing LoL lately and not overwatch or anything else. I ideally was going to pack it away as not go much space for it if get laptop as well.

I have seen solidworks can run on that the i5-8250U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medavidcook)
    Thanks for that my windows pc is spec below,
    i7-8700K 6 core
    16GB Ram
    GTX 1070
    with 500GB SSD and 1TB HDD

This is a gaming rig, that doesnt get much use as only playing LoL lately and not overwatch or anything else. I ideally was going to pack it away as not go much space for it if get laptop as well.

I have seen solidworks can run on that the i5-8250U
    It might run, but I don't want to give you false information about hardware that might not run the programme as well as you want.

Your desktop is well above the recommended requirements. Only thing I don't know much about is Quadros. Certain programmes enjoy having Quadros.

If it runs it well enough for you to be content then invest in it

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it could run it nicely but then again you have a 1070 and a high-end chip you could mess around with when you get the chance should you need more power.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.