Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C2 Geometric Sequence Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Andy invests £A at a rate if interest 4% per annum. After five years it will be worth £10,000. What is A?

My working out:
    Un = AR^n-1
    10,000 = A * 1.04^(5-1)
    A = 10000/1.04^(5-1)

However, the book says the answer is:
    A = 10000/1.04^(5)

I thought the formula was R to the the power of n-1, by the book only uses R to the power of n. Why is this?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desultory)
    Andy invests £A at a rate if interest 4% per annum. After five years it will be worth £10,000. What is A?

My working out:
    Un = AR^n-1
    10,000 = A * 1.04^(5-1)
    A = 10000/1.04^(5-1)

A = 10000/1.04^(5)

I thought the formula was R to the the power of n-1, by the book only uses R to the power of n. Why is this?
    Depends how you contextualise your n.

What is n in your context?

Approach 1:

After 1 year, the worth W is A\cdot 1.04

After 2 years, it has worth W=A \cdot 1.04^2

After n year, it has worth W=A \cdot 1.04^n

Approach 2:

If you want to use n-1, you would have to say something like "In Year 1, we have W=A, then in Year 2 we have W=A\cdot 1.04, then in Year n we have W=A \cdot 1.04^{n-1}" but even then, the phrase 'after 5 years' implies you're looking for the value right after Year 5 ends, so what's the value in Y6? Plug in n=6 and you're back to the first scenario.

ReputationRep:

My working out:
    Un = AR^n-1
    10,000 = A * 1.04^(5-1)
    A = 10000/1.04^(5-1)

A = 10000/1.04^(5)

The question says after 5 years, meaning that it take 5 years for it to reach £10,000, this then means that the value for n would be 6 as you start at year 0 and 5 whole years later would be year 5, 0,1,2,3,4,5 is 6 so N-1 = 5
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Depends how you contextualise your n.

What is n in your context?

Approach 1:

After 1 year, the worth W is A\cdot 1.04

After 2 years, it has worth W=A \cdot 1.04^2

After n year, it has worth W=A \cdot 1.04^n

Approach 2:

If you want to use n-1, you would have to say something like "In Year 1, we have W=A, then in Year 2 we have W=A\cdot 1.04, then in Year n we have W=A \cdot 1.04^{n-1}" but even then, the phrase 'after 5 years' implies you're looking for the value right after Year 5 ends, so what's the value in Y6? Plug in n=6 and you're back to the first scenario.
    So what you are saying is that the formula given in the book for c2 is wrong and shouldnt be used?
    Or how do i know when to use it and when not to
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So what you are saying is that the formula given in the book for c2 is wrong and shouldnt be used?
    Or how do i know when to use it and when not to
    No that's not what I'm saying in the slightest. I'm saying it depends how you lay out your scenario. I gave you two clear approaches in how it could've been layed out by you and how the n and n-1 can be used.

ReputationRep:
    No that's not what I'm saying in the slightest. I'm saying it depends how you lay out your scenario. I gave you two clear approaches in how it could've been layed out by you and how the n and n-1 can be used.
    Okay so why is the n-1 in the formula? I'm not sure I understand as in some other examples such as what is the 10th term in sequence 3 6 12 24, if you dont do ar^n-1, then you get the answer wrong
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Okay so why is the n-1 in the formula? I'm not sure I understand as in some other examples such as what is the 10th term in sequence 3 6 12 24, if you dont do ar^n-1, then you get the answer wrong
    Because, and I'll use sequences as an example, u_n=ar^{n-1} gives you the nth term of a sequence so it makes sense.

u_1=a
    u_2=ar
    u_3=ar^2
    u_n=ar^{n-1}

Using u_r=ar^n would start you off from ar then and not a, unless you start from the 0th term - this is where the difference is! It's about where you start off, so to speak.

And the question above shows this.

ReputationRep:
    Because, and I'll use sequences as an example, u_n=ar^{n-1} gives you the nth term of a sequence so it makes sense.

u_1=a
    u_2=ar
    u_3=ar^2
    u_n=ar^{n-1}

Using u_r=ar^n would start you off from ar then and not a, unless you start from the 0th term - this is where the difference is! It's about where you start off, so to speak.

And the question above shows this.
    Okay, I kind of understand, but why are we starting on the second term in this quqestion then?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I kind of understand, but why are we starting on the second term in this quqestion then?
    Because we are using the 'after nth year' terminology and not 'during nth year' terminology (though there is nothing from stopping you from using it)

So saying 'After 1 year' would mean you are on your second year, so you'd use n=2 in your W=A\cdot 1.04^{n-1} formula - and this fits perfectly with the context, as you'd expect to have the interest added after 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    Because we are using the 'after nth year' terminology and not 'during nth year' terminology (though there is nothing from stopping you from using it)

So saying 'After 1 year' would mean you are on your second year, so you'd use n=2 in your W=A\cdot 1.04^{n-1} formula - and this fits perfectly with the context, as you'd expect to have the interest added after 1 year.
    Ok thanks, I think i understand now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.