The Student Room Group

Bra size help

So I've been wearing a 30DD or 32D then I got measured today and the woman told me I'm a 36 but to get 34C. Is 34/36 not too big considering I'm a size 6 and quite slim.
Reply 1
okay well the number basically means your rib cage size and the letter is how big your boobs are in relation to your ribcage. Did the woman use a measuring tape??
Original post by cactuss
okay well the number basically means your rib cage size and the letter is how big your boobs are in relation to your ribcage. Did the woman use a measuring tape??

Yeah she did and thanks I just feel like 36 is sooo big
Reply 3
Basically as a size 6 your band size more than likely going to be between 26 and 30 (30 might actually be pushing it but anyway). What is your band measurement? Like right around the rib cage?
Some places measure you and add on 4 or 5 inches around the ribcage depending on if you're an odd or even measurement. I've never found that this works. Whatever your measurement is around your rib cage is your size! And yes a 34/36 sounds way too big if you are size 6.
Original post by 1233333344s222
So I've been wearing a 30DD or 32D then I got measured today and the woman told me I'm a 36 but to get 34C. Is 34/36 not too big considering I'm a size 6 and quite slim.

That doesn't sound right. I am a size 8 and my waist is 28. However, I wear 30C as a lot of shops don't have 28 waist sized bras. Maybe go get measured by another shop and see if they say the same sizes?
That doesn't sound right. If you wear a size 6, you're pretty much a 28 (which they don't sell) or 30.
Go elsewhere for measurement.
Reply 7
Marks and Spencers do, they go up to a 28C in 28 bands. If you have a larger cupsize than that, you'd have to go online.
I'm a size 6 and by measurements I should be wearing a 30D but in reality where I've actually tried on the bras I wear a 34B because it's whats most comfortable. Try things on and wear what fits rather than what theoretically should
Reply 9
Definitely sounds wrong. I'm size 14 and wear 34/36. I recommend you measure yourself at home then try out the sizes around that number.

Also, how sister sizes work is if you go up in band, you go down in cup and the other way around. So, for example, if you tried on 34C and found that the cup size was about right but the band was too loose, you'd try 32D next.
I’m also a size 6 and I wear a 34 comfortably
As you can see from the replies on this thread, it varies massively from person to person. I’m a size 12 and I have a 32FF because that’s what fits best and supports me best. My MIL is significantly smaller than me (in both frame and cup size) and wears a 34 band size. Try on lots and see what works best for you, perhaps do some research on how the bra should feel when it’s on.
Your band size should be similar to your waist size (around 4-6 inches bigger at most), hence a UK size 6 usually has a 24" waist (or smaller) they should probably be wearing a 26 or 28 band, 26 bands are mostly found online and so are most 28 bands.

ABraThatFits is a good subreddit to figure out your size.

E.g. I wear a UK 6, although I am smaller than that (hard to find clothes smaller than that when you're not petite height wise), and I wear a 28C when I bother with bras (which isn't very often because bralettes are better), and it's usually too big in the band on the middle setting so I often have to use the tightest setting which wears bras out faster. Most people wearing a size 6 should be wearing a 28 band or below, or they're quite simply kidding themselves into being a size 6.
Original post by Pathway
Your band size should be similar to your waist size (around 4-6 inches bigger at most)

My band size is 12.5 inches bigger!
I'm about a size 8 and my band size is 30 so I'd guess 36 is much too big for you
You definitely shouldn't be wearing a 36 being size 6 that would be too big and you should be wearing a 30 band size.
'Size 6' is meaningless as there is no standard for it and it varies between shops. Same with all this ratio and suggested sizes. I'm usually a 12 in tops with a 36 band size, 14 in bottoms with a 28 waist.

However I once gave up buying a summer blazer in M&S when a Size 22 was still too small for me....
Reply 17
Get another measurement elsewhere or use an online guide to double check. Get someone to help at home to make sure the tape measure is level. Or try some on and see what is comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest