Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've taken physics maths and further maths
    I don't have access to computers in sixth-form just available wifi , and in home I use my sibling's lapto, out shared computer is out of work! Have repaired it too many times. Then I realized I needed a good and new one for university so at that time should I get one or using my cell phone enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevelbuddy)
    I've taken physics maths and further maths
    I don't have access to computers in sixth-form just available wifi , and in home I use my sibling's lapto, out shared computer is out of work! Have repaired it too many times. Then I realized I needed a good and new one for university so at that time should I get one or using my cell phone enough?
    I just use my iPhone for research (google) and it's perfectly adequate for me. The screen is a little too small sometimes but really it's not worth shelling out a couple of hundred just for a laptop IMO. I'm quite happy with my phone for now.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I found having a laptop very helpful but its not essential

ReputationRep:
    I use my phone as well but watching videos On phone or reading PDF is too small for me at times
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    GovernmentEarner which subjects you are studying?

ReputationRep:
    i study almost the same subjects and a laptop is sooooo useful, not jsut for school stuff. if you cant afford much, a netbook will do the trick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hpblcparaboloid)
    i study almost the same subjects and a laptop is sooooo useful, not jsut for school stuff. if you cant afford much, a netbook will do the trick!
    can you link those netbook? and which online resources are you using?

ReputationRep:
    I use my phone as well but watching videos On phone or reading PDF is too small for me at times
    Yeah I use my phone for reading the textbook which isn't perfect but it's still ok for me really. Depends whether or not you can justify a £200-£500 investment just for a larger screen pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGiant)
    Yeah I use my phone for reading the textbook which isn't perfect but it's still ok for me really. Depends whether or not you can justify a £200-£500 investment just for a larger screen pretty much.
    which subjects are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    which subjects are you studying?
    Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Just need my phone for the physics and chemistry textbooks really (which I could just buy a physical copy of).

ReputationRep:
    Although at home I have a desktop computer which I use a lot, but that's not just for work (TSR and youtube as well)

ReputationRep:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...%2Ck%3Anetbook

for maths i use physics and maths tutor (lifesaver) and youtube vids

ReputationRep:
    Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Just need my phone for the physics and chemistry textbooks really (which I could just buy a physical copy of).
    oh you dont use online resources much?

ReputationRep:
    oh you dont use online resources much?
    Not really, my textbook has pretty much everything I need (questions and notes). Sometimes I do try and source other notes but this isn't too difficult on a phone.

At those prices, I'd get a laptop.

OP, no you don't need a laptop. It might be very handy, though, if your school doesn't have computers you can use.

If you don't have a computer you can access at home, I'd definitely get a laptop or desktop for that.

ReputationRep:
      I have a desktop and a laptop both for work. In college, I normally use the library computers to do work. I bought a laptop as well because sometimes in my study periods, the library is sometimes full so I use my laptop. It's also nice to just work wherever you want in college or at home. It's up to you, but in my opinion it definitely makes things more convenient as I could just whip out my laptop during lunch with my friends, or use my laptop on my bed and do work etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      At those prices, I'd get a laptop.

OP, no you don't need a laptop. It might be very handy, though, if your school doesn't have computers you can use.
      yes my price ranges to maximise 250 and
      I didn't understood what you're trying to say?

yes my price ranges to maximise 250 and
        I didn't understood what you're trying to say?
        You want a desktop or laptop to use at both school and home.

It doesn't matter if you own them or not.

If both school and home have accessible computers, then you don't need a laptop.

If school has accessible computers but not home, then you might want a desktop for home.

If school deson't have accessible computers, get a laptop.

ReputationRep:
        Although at home I have a desktop computer which I use a lot, but that's not just for work (TSR and youtube as well)
        I don't have that as my desktop is out of order

ReputationRep:
        I bought a chromebook in Year 12 and now I'm in Year 13 and I have to say it's sooooooooooooo useful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.