Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need a laptop for sixth form? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    I bought a chromebook in Year 12 and now I'm in Year 13 and I have to say it's sooooooooooooo useful
    chromebooks aren't available in my country
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    You want a desktop or laptop to use at both school and home.

It doesn't matter if you own them or not.

If both school and home have accessible computers, then you don't need a laptop.

If school has accessible computers but not home, then you might want a desktop for home.

If school deson't have accessible computers, get a laptop.
    thank you so much 💓

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenice)
    I have a desktop and a laptop both for work. In college, I normally use the library computers to do work. I bought a laptop as well because sometimes in my study periods, the library is sometimes full so I use my laptop. It's also nice to just work wherever you want in college or at home. It's up to you, but in my opinion it definitely makes things more convenient as I could just whip out my laptop during lunch with my friends, or use my laptop on my bed and do work etc.
    thank you 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hpblcparaboloid)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...%2Ck%3Anetbook

for maths i use physics and maths tutor (lifesaver) and youtube vids
    same 😊

ReputationRep:
    For your subjects I’d suggest not, paper is the way to go, because you can write formula out much faster, if you can get like a tablet with a pen it might be more useful than let’s say a laptop because of how time consuming it is to make clear notes compared to on paper. The expensive of only having one for 2 subjects is also something to consider, as well as what your plans are for after sixth form, as if you’re doing an apprenticeship, your employer might give you one, or if you go to uni, there will be more considerations, which is why I’m personally waiting until I’ve left college so I can get the best value laptop available for uni (A laptop release this week will be £150 cheaper this time next year). I find a desktop more than adequate for now, but when I move to uni I’ll leave my desktop at home and take just a laptop. And friendly penguins advice is very good. If you’re getting a laptop that only costs 200, you’re pretty likely to want a better one for uni, so you’d only be get a years use out of it, and maybe first year of uni. But after that you’re gonna want something more powerful, especially if you’re doing physics, computing or engineering at uni because of the beefy programs you’ll be using

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieg333)
    For your subjects I’d suggest not, paper is the way to go, because you can write formula out much faster, if you can get like a tablet with a pen it might be more useful than let’s say a laptop because of how time consuming it is to make clear notes compared to on paper. The expensive of only having one for 2 subjects is also something to consider, as well as what your plans are for after sixth form, as if you’re doing an apprenticeship, your employer might give you one, or if you go to uni, there will be more considerations, which is why I’m personally waiting until I’ve left college so I can get the best value laptop available for uni (A laptop release this week will be £150 cheaper this time next year). I find a desktop more than adequate for now, but when I move to uni I’ll leave my desktop at home and take just a laptop. And friendly penguins advice is very good. If you’re getting a laptop that only costs 200, you’re pretty likely to want a better one for uni, so you’d only be get a years use out of it, and maybe first year of uni. But after that you’re gonna want something more powerful, especially if you’re doing physics, computing or engineering at uni because of the beefy programs you’ll be using
    yes actually I'm planning to do computer science or engineering eventually so I will need a laptop then which last for long, so buying a chromebook or within 200 laptop just for sixth form will it he a waste of money just to get the job done? as I will upgrade later to a better one if possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevelbuddy)
    I've taken physics maths and further maths
    I don't have access to computers in sixth-form just available wifi , and in home I use my sibling's lapto, out shared computer is out of work! Have repaired it too many times. Then I realized I needed a good and new one for university so at that time should I get one or using my cell phone enough?
    babes, as long as you don't have a social life and have the ability to revise several hours a day, you're sorted.

JKSss tbh it depends on your school and your grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemistry002)
    babes, as long as you don't have a social life and have the ability to revise several hours a day, you're sorted.

JKSss tbh it depends on your school and your grades
    I actually don't have a social life 😔 but neither the ability to study for hours

ReputationRep:
    tbh as someone who constantly has her laptop in her bag, i'd say it's not necessary. in sixth form i always wrote on notepad, didn't often take the laptop since i was too worried about damaging my laptop on the journey to school (i damaged it last week @ uni the other day and had to scrape up £400 in repairs :ashamed2:). for home use, deffo get around to getting a new & reliable pc, and you'll be fine.

(Original post by Arima)
      tbh as someone who constantly has her laptop in her bag, i'd say it's not necessary. in sixth form i always wrote on notepad, didn't often take the laptop since i was too worried about damaging my laptop on the journey to school (i damaged it last week @ uni the other day and had to scrape up £400 in repairs :ashamed2:). for home use, deffo get around to getting a new & reliable pc, and you'll be fine.
      £400 for repairs?! That's already the cost of a good laptop itself...

What did you break?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Alevelbuddy)
      I actually don't have a social life 😔 but neither the ability to study for hours
      trust me life is peak. Idk how I'm still surviving

ReputationRep:
      £400 for repairs?! That's already the cost of a good laptop itself...

What did you break?
      the lid on my macbook i just wanted to fix the screen since it was jumping all over the place (slightly dented the edge of the lid, but i only card about the screen). it just so happened that my model's screen was melded to the lid so the Whole Lid had to be replaced :cry2:

ReputationRep:
      If you’re planning on going to university, then I’d get a laptop. Wait until Christmas though, because sales etc.

I managed to get a i5 HP laptop for £399.

ReputationRep:
      A laptop isn't essential, however I found it very useful. Luckily for me I was on the bursary so the school paid for my laptop. I used it to type up notes, do research, find homework tasks online. It saved me a lot of time at home having to transfer stuff from paper to a Word document. It also saved paper. I use it even more now at university. Definitely worth getting one. It became more useful in year 13.

(Original post by Arima)
        the lid on my macbook i just wanted to fix the screen since it was jumping all over the place (slightly dented the edge of the lid, but i only card about the screen).
        it just so happened that my model's screen was melded to the lid so the Whole Lid had to be replaced :cry2:
        Just like it "just so happens" that you can't replace the battery for many iPhones? It "just so happens" to be part of Apple's business strategy...

ReputationRep:
        Just like it "just so happens" that you can't replace the battery for many iPhones? It "just so happens" to be part of Apple's business strategy...

yeah i meant it sarcastically. its apple, of course they want to swindle as much people as poss

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.