The Student Room Group

How many marks do you need to get a C in maths gcse?

Is it 30-35? In all 3 papers? And is 4 a low C? Really confused

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emerald777O

41-72 marks. I had to generalise it to both Edexcel and AQA as you didn't clarify what exam board you are with. It's usually 46 marks for a 4 and 72 marks for a 5 this is for AQA as I searched up this years grade boundaries 9-1. For Edexcel it's 41 marks for a 4 and 68 for a 5 if you're with Edexcel.

4 is a weak pass and 5 is a good pass. Each paper is out of 80 and joining all 3 papers you need to score a minimum of the marks mentioned above.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Black Water
41-72 marks. I had to generalise it to both Edexcel and AQA as you didn't clarify what exam board you are with. It's usually 46 marks for a 4 and 72 marks for a 5 this is for AQA as I searched up this years grade boundaries 9-1. For Edexcel it's 41 marks for a 4 and 68 for a 5 if you're with Edexcel.

4 is a weak pass and 5 is a good pass. Each paper is out of 80 and joining all 3 papers you need to score a minimum of the marks mentioned above.

Wait wait so 41 marks all together in 3 papers for a 4??? I'm doing edexcel .
Reply 3
Wait wait so 41 marks all together in 3 papers for a 4??? I'm doing edexcel .

Yes, round about that many marks for a grade 4.
Reply 4

Wait 41/240 for a 4 sounds wrong?
Reply 5
Reply 6
I know for edexcel you needed to get 68 across all three papers in higher for a 5. I got a 7 which was 124 marks across all papers
Reply 7

That is interesting, OP should aim much higher though.
Reply 8
Original post by M4cc4n4
That is interesting, OP should aim for close to full marks in each if they can properly understand the content

I agree. Personally, I think OP should really try for a 9.

Original post by Nin500a
I know for edexcel you needed to get 68 across all three papers in higher for a 5. I got a 7 which was 124 marks across all papers

Thanks so much guys!

Original post by M4cc4n4
That is interesting, OP should aim much higher though.

I'm resitting maths for the 3rd time so I defo won't get a 9. I mean I could but my degree only wants a 4. And I'd be happy with it tbh. I find maths extremely hard lol.
Reply 11
Thanks so much guys!

No problem, aim for a 8/9 though.
Reply 12
I'm resitting maths for the 3rd time so I defo won't get a 9. I mean I could but my degree only wants a 4. And I'd be happy with it tbh. I find maths extremely hard lol.

Ohh right. Getting a 4 shouldn't be hard at all this time round. What degree do you want to do? Generally speaking, students can get a grade 7 without revising.

Yeah, I thought that but then again not everybody thinks logically and therefore may struggle with maths at GCSE as I saw many in my Maths Class do at GCSE, even to the point where when practicing exam questions a Teacher saying to another student not to try it as it is unlikely they would get it in the exam. Also not really sure that much about 9-1 Maths as I took GCSE's in NI in 2016, and some people worked really hard for an A or B whilst others cruised all year to an A
Ohh right. Getting a 4 shouldn't be hard at all this time round. What degree do you want to do? Generally speaking, students can get a grade 7 without revising.

It's the new spec which has more topics and there's one more paper but I'm sure with lots of practice , I can pass. I'm not one of those students that can do do really well with such little revision. The understanding part is the most important part and I struggle with that. Child nursing :smile:

If you need any help ---> maths forum and someone will help.

Just work and you'll get there
Reply 16
Original post by M4cc4n4
Yeah, I thought that but then again not everybody thinks logically and therefore may struggle with maths at GCSE as I saw many in my Maths Class do at GCSE, even to the point where when practicing exam questions a Teacher saying to another student not to try it as it is unlikely they would get it in the exam. Also not really sure that much about 9-1 Maths as I took GCSE's in NI in 2016, and some people worked really hard for an A or B whilst others cruised all year to an A

Yeah that's a fair point. The grade boundaries for 9-1 were expected to be higher but ended up being lower than a lot of people thought. Therefore, quite a lot of students ended up getting the top 8/9 grades. Yeah, I know someone who barely revised and ended up getting an A* while another student revised so much and ended up getting a B which is what they wanted.

Do Edexcel 18% lol what a joke
Reply 18
It's the new spec which has more topics and there's one more paper but I'm sure with lots of practice , I can pass. I'm not one of those students that can do do really well with such little revision. The understanding part is the most important part and I struggle with that. Child nursing :smile:

Yeah that's true and some of the questions have gotten tougher. It's mostly logic and rote learning, I wish I had known this before I sat my exams. There's not too much to learn, mostly practice. Oh that's an interesting degree. :smile:
Original post by M4cc4n4
If you need any help ---> maths forum and someone will help.

Just work and you'll get there

I Am and I will. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply