Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have applied for 2018 this year. However, I am quite certain I won't be offered a place, due to my lack of work experience/volunteering, a bland personal statement and a poor UKCAT score.

Howeverrr, I have decided to not give up. I'm thinking of applying for 2019 entry, so I will apply just after my A levels next year. There are different routes into medicine as i'm aware of, but I am determined to just apply for Medicine.

My plan now is to do more volunteering, get more work experience and do a load of things which will look good on my personal statement - and ofc revise for BMAT and UKCAT all over again.

This will be difficult, as I will be preparing for my actual A levels at the same time - but i'm hoping to turn this around. If I could turn back time, I would tell myself in year 12 to "STOP BEING SO IDLE AND THINK ABOUT YOUR FUTUREE".

Do you guys have any tips and suggestions for me on what I can do within 12 months, such as things to do which will allow me to stand out as an applicant? I have thought and made up my own plans, but I'm open to specific suggestions as well.
    • PS Reviewer

(Original post by Xenice)
    Hi guys,

I have applied for 2018 this year. However, I am quite certain I won't be offered a place, due to my lack of work experience/volunteering, a bland personal statement and a poor UKCAT score.

Howeverrr, I have decided to not give up. I'm thinking of applying for 2019 entry, so I will apply just after my A levels next year. There are different routes into medicine as i'm aware of, but I am determined to just apply for Medicine.

My plan now is to do more volunteering, get more work experience and do a load of things which will look good on my personal statement - and ofc revise for BMAT and UKCAT all over again.

This will be difficult, as I will be preparing for my actual A levels at the same time - but i'm hoping to turn this around. If I could turn back time, I would tell myself in year 12 to "STOP BEING SO IDLE AND THINK ABOUT YOUR FUTUREE".

Do you guys have any tips and suggestions for me on what I can do within 12 months, such as things to do which will allow me to stand out as an applicant? I have thought and made up my own plans, but I'm open to specific suggestions as well.
    The most important thing for you to concentrate on is your A-Level results. If you don't get the minimum requirements, it severely limits your options.

Other than that, continue any voluntary work you are doing and try to get more work experience. I am now well in to my medical career but have always followed a PPE model: Personal, Professional, Educational.

So see what in your CV or portfolio (of sorts) you are missing or could develop further out of those three. You don't need to stand out to get in to medicine, wherever it is you are applying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.