Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Evaluate the functionalist contributions to the issues of women and crime? (30)

I'm struggling with what content to put in. I get the structure but not sure about what points to make? I've included the fact that research investigating why women commit crime has small sample sizes and so can generalise to the wider population be e.g middle class. But what's the consequence of that ?
    Thank you in advance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_Hope_X)
    Evaluate the functionalist contributions to the issues of women and crime? (30)

I'm struggling with what content to put in. I get the structure but not sure about what points to make? I've included the fact that research investigating why women commit crime has small sample sizes and so can generalise to the wider population be e.g middle class. But what's the consequence of that ?
    Thank you in advance
    Moved to the sociology study help forum

What have you covered on this topic in class? Have you learnt about e.g. Durkheim's argument that crime is socially necessary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Moved to the sociology study help forum

What have you covered on this topic in class? Have you learnt about e.g. Durkheim's argument that crime is socially necessary?
    Yeah - we've learnt all the Perspectives e.g marxism, functionalism, left and right realists and their few on crime. We have just finished gender and crime (so the statistics part of the sociology course). Specifically speaking we have learnt about the crimes females and males most commit, liberation theory (freedom for women, ease fur them to adopt male identities) the chivalry thesis, sex role theory, the gender and class deal, masculine identity.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - we've learnt all the Perspectives e.g marxism, functionalism, left and right realists and their few on crime. We have just finished gender and crime (so the statistics part of the sociology course). Specifically speaking we have learnt about the crimes females and males most commit, liberation theory (freedom for women, ease fur them to adopt male identities) the chivalry thesis, sex role theory, the gender and class deal, masculine identity.
    So if the question is on functionalist contributions to the issues of women and crime, surely you would just want to analyse the functionalist theories on these issues, discuss their strengths and weaknesses and evaluate the usefulness of their contribution, possibly using some stats for the latter? Not sure if I'm missing something, sorry

ReputationRep:
    So if the question is on functionalist contributions to the issues of women and crime, surely you would just want to analyse the functionalist theories on these issues, discuss their strengths and weaknesses and evaluate the usefulness of their contribution, possibly using some stats for the latter? Not sure if I'm missing something, sorry
    Sorry for not being clear. I understand the question and the structure I need to write the essay in. I'm just not sure of what points I can make (could u please give me an example of a weakness or advantage on functionalist theories towards women and crime?)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for not being clear. I understand the question and the structure I need to write the essay in. I'm just not sure of what points I can make (could u please give me an example of a weakness or advantage on functionalist theories towards women and crime?)
    Got it, sorry for being a bit slow :lol:

Well as you know, the main idea of the functionalist theory of crime is that some crime is necessary to society and can play a positive role, for example by exemplifying unacceptable behaviour and its consequences, by being a force for social change/reform and so on. If you're stuck, you could think about the perspectives you've learnt about and how each one would respond to the functionalist argument. For example, Marxists might say that nothing significant is ever changed by isolated incidents of crime because organised mass movements are needed for lasting social change. General arguments work too (if you want to argue that functionalists overstate the benefits of crime compared with the damage it causes etc.).

You can do the same thing with functionalist ideas about women; how do you think feminists might respond to the idea that a gender-based division of labour is beneficial? If I were you I'd split the essay into two different sections, one on crime and one on women, since the arguments you'll use in each will be quite different. The general idea that something which might look like a social ill (like crime or gender inequality) might be beneficial is the same, though, so you can use that to tie your essay together.

ReputationRep:
    Got it, sorry for being a bit slow :lol:

Well as you know, the main idea of the functionalist theory of crime is that some crime is necessary to society and can play a positive role, for example by exemplifying unacceptable behaviour and its consequences, by being a force for social change/reform and so on. If you're stuck, you could think about the perspectives you've learnt about and how each one would respond to the functionalist argument. For example, Marxists might say that nothing significant is ever changed by isolated incidents of crime because organised mass movements are needed for lasting social change. General arguments work too (if you want to argue that functionalists overstate the benefits of crime compared with the damage it causes etc.).

You can do the same thing with functionalist ideas about women; how do you think feminists might respond to the idea that a gender-based division of labour is beneficial? If I were you I'd split the essay into two different sections, one on crime and one on women, since the arguments you'll use in each will be quite different. The general idea that something which might look like a social ill (like crime or gender inequality) might be beneficial is the same, though, so you can use that to tie your essay together.
    Thank you so much, it's a big help'
    I was stressing over that question tbh 😬

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.