Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    what substances can bind to serotonin receptors and have an effect in the body?

EDIT: other than serotonin
    • PS Reviewer

(Original post by tammie123)
    By definition, your answer is serotonin (and similar molecular structures).

ReputationRep:
    Serotonin.
    As it is a Serotonin Receptor.

Effect is it makes you happier

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the obvious, some examples of antagonists at 5HT receptors used as medications like Metoclopramide (for gastroparesis + vomiting), Ondansetron (post-op nausea), or agonists like -Triptans (for migraines) etc.

Anyway, do your own research

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyalimers)
    By definition, your answer is serotonin (and similar molecular structures).
    (Original post by joyoustele)
    Serotonin.
    As it is a Serotonin Receptor.

Effect is it makes you happier
    I should've clarified that I meant substances aside from serotonin and thanks for the answers.

(Original post by Sai4)
    Aside from the obvious, some examples of antagonists at 5HT receptors used as medications like Metoclopramide (for gastroparesis + vomiting), Ondansetron (post-op nausea), or agonists like -Triptans (for migraines) etc.

Anyway, do your own research
    I did try to research it but couldn't find anything, there's no need to be rude you're not the only one having a bad day
    • PS Reviewer

I should've clarified that I meant substances aside from serotonin and thanks for the answers.
    Well there are going to be hundreds if not more molecular structures that will have some element which can bind to serotonin receptors.

You can either get a receptor agonist (which potentiates the receptor) or an antagonist (which essentially blocks the receptor).

Presuming this is for A-Level, I don't really think you need to know specific compounds or drugs that work on the 5HT receptor complex. I think that the simplicity of the question is why the above poster has been a little abrupt in their response to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.