Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been asked to critically evaluate whether a bank’s duty of reasonable care and skill should have greater regulation by legislation and honestly have no clue how to approach this question.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by LAWSTUDENT5)
    I have been asked to critically evaluate whether a bank’s duty of reasonable care and skill should have greater regulation by legislation and honestly have no clue how to approach this question.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Have you done any research?

What do you think the obvious questions are that need answering or areas you need to cover?
    Some questions you cant really answer until you get some basic knowledge, but its obvious what its asking you for. Just break the question down like you did at A level.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I roughly understand the currently regulation in place, it's more trying to critique it haha :L

ReputationRep:
    When researching dishonest assistance, I vaguely remember reading Singularis v Daiwa [2017] on the bank's implied duty of care. It is only a High Court case, so I am not sure how significant it is. Might be a good starting point, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    When researching dishonest assistance, I vaguely remember reading Singularis v Daiwa [2017] on the bank's implied duty of care. It is only a High Court case, so I am not sure how significant it is. Might be a good starting point, though.
    Thanks will look into that

ReputationRep:
    the best bet is to first look at the current position of the law, then try to be a pedantic a**hole about the law xD Find any flaw or issue, also, try searching for news articles related to bankers getting away with negligent behaviour and see the arguments there. You could also look into the job of a banker and see what they do and see if there is a gap in the law that needs to be fixed. You could also just google "should bankers be legislated more" or something along those lines. If you tutor has posed the question then it has to have been asked before and there should be some arguments online

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.