Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What operating system do you use? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which OS do you use?
    Linux
    20.00%
    ChromeOS
    0%
    Android
    3.33%
    Windows 10
    46.67%
    Windows 7
    16.67%
    Windows XP or older
    6.67%
    OS X
    6.67%
    iOS
    0%
    Other Apple
    0%

And why?

Me is curious. I have seen a surprisingly large number of people recommending Macs on here. And a more surprisingly large number of people who even know what a Linux is.

ReputationRep:
    Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Why? Ease of use and compatibility I guess. Gave a few distros a go, but driver issues sent me back. If I had more patience, I'd probably migrate to Linux full time.

(Original post by sknudson)
    Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Why? Ease of use and compatibility I guess. Gave a few distros a go, but driver issues sent me back. If I had more patience, I'd probably migrate to Linux full time.
    Aha! Driver issues. Linux's weak spot.

I had issues on one machine with the open source NVidia drivers after installing for the first time. Not very friendly to a first-time user, but the solution was straightforward (i.e. use the NVidia proprietary drivers, which work great).

It is pretty much a one-time thing though.

ReputationRep:
    xp .... it is the dog's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    Aha! Driver issues. Linux's weak spot.

I had issues on one machine with the open source NVidia drivers after installing for the first time. Not very friendly to a first-time user, but the solution was straightforward (i.e. use the NVidia proprietary drivers, which work great).

It is pretty much a one-time thing though.
    I use Linux, and have done since the age of 15. Fantastic operating system. Which distribution do you use?

(Original post by aytuiq)
    I use Linux, and have done since the age of 15. Fantastic operating system. Which distribution do you use?
    Kubuntu on my main laptop, and Xubuntu on my old one (it is from 2002 - can't really run anything heavier than that). Because I'm a noob, and partial to pretty DEs.

Will likely move to OpenSUSE or something else KDE based when I can though.

Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Kubuntu on my main laptop, and Xubuntu on my old one (it is from 2002 - can't really run anything heavier than that). Because I'm a noob, and partial to pretty DEs.

Will likely move to OpenSUSE or something else KDE based when I can though.

Yourself?
    KDE is a pretty nice DE, a bit too fancy for me though! OpenSUSE seems like a generally reliable OS, I think Linus Torvalds himself uses it.

I use Debian with IceWM.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    And why?

Me is curious. I have seen a surprisingly large number of people recommending Macs on here. And a more surprisingly large number of people who even know what a Linux is.
    OSX, because Apple rule, Linux drools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    No, Apple products are rubbish. Overpriced toys.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aytuiq)
    No, Apple products are rubbish. Overpriced toys.
    I'm not fond of their newer MacBook facelift :nope: I think I'll just stick with my late 2015 MB Pro :yep:

ReputationRep:
    install gentoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    install gentoo
    Yes please, it is highly recommended for its ability to help you retain sanity during installation. Not.

(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Apple has great hardware, and great compatibility between each component (because it is all tightly controlled, not like PCs which are extremely modular).

I'd have an Apple (for my main machine), if I had >£10^6 and didn't care about customisability.

ReputationRep:
    Windows 7

ReputationRep:
    macOS Sierra switched from Windows 10 and I’m loving it so far. The fact that I can run Linux and windows on the Mac made it easy to choose
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Multiselect needs to be a thing on this -

Machine dependent - OSX, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Kali, ChromeOS and RHE7

Windows 8.1 is my main, as aspects of 10 are immensely irritating.
    Windows 10 mainly for playing Win10 only games.
    OpenSUSE for doing work, provided i don't need to use any specific software packages.
    OSX for when I do need to use the software.
    Ubuntu for development box's
    Kali for pentesting
    ChromeOS for when I'm travelling.
    RHE7 for working with any virtualisation.

(Original post by iainvg)
    Multiselect needs to be a thing on this -

Machine dependent - OSX, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Kali, ChromeOS and RHE7

Windows 8.1 is my main, as aspects of 10 are immensely irritating.
    Windows 10 mainly for playing Win10 only games.
    OpenSUSE for doing work, provided i don't need to use any specific software packages.
    OSX for when I do need to use the software.
    Ubuntu for development box's
    Kali for pentesting
    ChromeOS for when I'm travelling.
    RHE7 for working with any virtualisation.
    I r jelly

So you have a few machines, some dual booting Win8 and *, some Win10 and *, and one ChromeOS device and one OSX device?

ReputationRep:
    Windows 10 AND OS X because I'm just edgy like that.

I do also have a raspberry pi with raspbian (or whatever its called now) but don' really use it much.

ReputationRep:
    I r jelly

So you have a few machines, some dual booting Win8 and *, some Win10 and *, and one ChromeOS device and one OSX device?
    Both Windows installs are on the same machine, all the rest are on independent machines.

ReputationRep:
    And why?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
    Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
    Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.