Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Its 9's or NOTHING...... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandExecutioner)
    One thing you'l learn over the next 1/2 yrs, if you're still going to apply for medicine, is that there are no "better" med schools. This sort of thing is applicable to any other degree apart from medicine. At the end of it you'll get a medical degree and a guranteed job. All med schools are equally good and only differ in their course structure and training. So when you come to apply, you should be applying to places where you like the look of and how they use your strengths as part of your selection process (to increase your chances as different med schools will prioritise differently). I guess at the moment, since you haven't sat your GCSEs, UKCAT/BMAT, or AS exams you won't know which ones these are.

Also you have mentioned 3 BMAT unis. I DO NOT recommend applying to all 3. When you come to apply, you'll only have UKCAT results in hand as the BMAT is in November (should be revising for it as it's next week!). So it's really risky to apply to 3 BMAT out of your 4 choices since you can't change your options if you under perform in the BMAT. Even if your UKCAT score isn't great I wouldn't recommend applying to more than 2 BMAT unis.

I have applied to Cambridge for medicine but not because of the typical reasons people apply there. I wanted to have one BMAT uni amongst my choices and I wasn't applying to London (the expense!) and didn't like BSMS, Leeds or Lancaster. That left me with one of the Oxbridge choices. Oxford look at BMAT and GCSEs more heavily (they prefer double digit A*s whereas I got 8 A*s) so I went for Cambridge since they look for above 90 AS UMS marks and review each application holistically. It also has a traditional course structure which to be honest I would prefer (but it's not everyone's cup of tea).

Hope that was of some help and hit me with any questions if you have them!
    Thanks for the advice - I'm clearly a newbie . And thx - if any questions pop to mind I'll come to you first .

Good luck with your BMAT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by streetdude28)
    Thanks for the advice - I'm clearly a newbie . And thx - if any questions pop to mind I'll come to you first .

Good luck with your BMAT!
    Thanks. Don't worry. I didn't even know which unis did medicine at your stage!

ReputationRep:
    was confused for a minute since i only had numbered grades for english and maths, but of course they're all like that now! i wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I'm hoping to get all 9s and I'm doing 10 GCSEs too! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sciolyboy123)
    Where can I follow your blog?
    you can follow my journey by clicking on the watch this thread button up near the title or you can add me as a friend and you'll be updated on when i post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peeked)
    Same here, I'm hoping to get all 9s and I'm doing 10 GCSEs too! Good luck
    Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikey)
    Good luck!

I'm also in year 11 and aiming for 8 grade 8's (English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies) and 1 9 (Maths ). I'm also aiming for medicine

Just had my mocks and got 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's so I guess I'm doing okay. I also have a GYG thread if you want to check it out. Gonna watch this thread from now.
    congrats on you amazing results and ill be sure to check your thread out too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeliniRoy)
    Hahaha! Good luck to you aswell! Have you started revising yet? And how long do you revise for? I am LAZY but I try and do atleast 2 everyday
    no i havnt started yet even though ik i should but ill be beginning planning my revision tomorrow which ill be sure to mention in my blog post tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i’m loving this gyg so far! you seem super enthusiastic and i wish i was confident enough to aim for all 9’s!
    perhaps we could aim for them together!
    check my gyg out if you want - but i can’t wait to see more of this one
    yes ill be sure to check your gyg out do you by any chance know how i can see your regular threads/follow you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0h_n0)
    And may the odds be ever in your favour...
    Good luck!
    ahaahah thank you for the luck and the hunger games quote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanaf)
    yes ill be sure to check your gyg out do you by any chance know how i can see your regular threads/follow you?
    I'm not sure how to do it on the app but it's really easy if you do it online, just click on the username!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanaf)
    That's amaaaazingggg please share how???🙏🏽
    It'll sound cliché, but the main piece of advice I'd give is to KEEP ON TOP OF YOUR SUBJECTS. There's a real risk of being spread too thin at GCSE, so to avoid that, I'd recommend revising all of your subjects very, very regularly. Make notes if that's your kind of thing(it worked great for me). If you are making notes, I'd suggest you look at mark schemes from past papers- even if the syllabus has changed- so you know the exact wording the examiner is after.
    If you're good at a subject, it will just come down to brutal hard work. Identify your weaker subjects early on and spend more time on them- particularly English, just practice writing essays regularly and try to learn quotes as you read the book to save having to cram them right at the end.
    If there's anything else you'd like to ask please do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.