Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have started my A Levels in September 2017 in English Literature, Philosophy (Not Philosophy & Ethics), Psychology, and Drama & Theatre
    However, I am finding it a little bit hectic and therefore want to drop either Philosophy or Drama in order to focus on three solid subjects. I am also planning to take the EPQ qualification. Anyways, Philosophy at the moment is very hard and I feel like I haven’t learnt anything considering our teacher doesn’t teach anything or have control over the class. However, I still haven’t revised yet so that could be a contribution even though I managed to get a B grade for end of term. Additionally, if I drop Drama, I could then focus more on philosophy but then again, I’m not sure which one to drop out of the two. I’m planning to go to Cambridge to study Political Sciences so could I get advise on what option to pick. Also, would removing Philosophy and having drama as a third a level degrade my chance of getting into cambridge. Thanks guys!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Ali12121)
    I have started my A Levels in September 2017 in English Literature, Philosophy (Not Philosophy & Ethics), Psychology, and Drama & Theatre
    However, I am finding it a little bit hectic and therefore want to drop either Philosophy or Drama in order to focus on three solid subjects. I am also planning to take the EPQ qualification. Anyways, Philosophy at the moment is very hard and I feel like I haven’t learnt anything considering our teacher doesn’t teach anything or have control over the class. However, I still haven’t revised yet so that could be a contribution even though I managed to get a B grade for end of term. Additionally, if I drop Drama, I could then focus more on philosophy but then again, I’m not sure which one to drop out of the two. I’m planning to go to Cambridge to study Political Sciences so could I get advise on what option to pick. Also, would removing Philosophy and having drama as a third a level degrade my chance of getting into cambridge. Thanks guys!!
    Have you looked at subject and entrance requirements?
    Philosophy is the more academic.
    . Surprised you arent doing History or G&P

You need to look at the colleges to see what they require.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements

ReputationRep:
    It doesn’t really say which subjects are more academic. I wanted to pick either Politics or History and am kind of regretting not picking one of them but the History course at my college is Russia and Modern Britain which is rather boredom. I’d be more interested in America, Germany, African History and Human rights which the College doesn’t focus on. As with Politics, it seems rather daunting to have it alongside my other written, essay based subjects. I’d still believe that Drama is appropriate as it would give my application diversity, especially if I add an EPQ. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    what do you want to do at uni? I imagine a Philosophy would be a better and more solid degree over drama

ReputationRep:
    Personally from what Ive heard from people who do Philosophy is that it is a difficult subject. It is useful if you want to go into law or a science that requires a focus on ethics. I do drama for A2 having only learnt it from AS as my school didn't offer it as a GCSE and it is hard, but then A levels are. I personally would keep Drama as it provides you with more skills that Philosophy won't necessarily do. But its up to you in the end. You have to be motivated to do the work and you will get the grades Cambridge want you to have to get in. I haven't heard anyone from a uni discredit drama (no matter what other people say) as it is essentially a form of English just there is more practical than there is in Literature. Both are challenging but I chose drama to vary my Application and to have a break from my other "hardcore" subjects (I do triple science and geography). In the end it boils down to whatever subject youre more passionate about.

Hope that waffley response makes sense

ReputationRep:
    If you have some flexibility on what you want to do in the future, drop the one you like least (seeming to be Philosophy). There's no point in puttting yourself through two years of a class you don't like if you aren't absolutely sure you need it/it's worth it.

If you have your heart completely set on Cambridge for Political Science, you'll need to work really hard. Psychology, philosophy and drama are all seen a s 'soft' subjects by Russel group universities and applicants with less than two 'hard' subjects are at a large disadvantage. Only applying with 3.5 A-levels, two in 'soft' subjects, would basically ruin your chance of an offer. So if you really reallly want to do Cambridge, i would keep all four subjects. It would probably be really difficult (unless your'e a great student, i don't know of course) but honestly otherwise your application won't be very competitive.
    Either way, good luck for A levels !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avamaeh)
    If you have some flexibility on what you want to do in the future, drop the one you like least (seeming to be Philosophy). There's no point in puttting yourself through two years of a class you don't like if you aren't absolutely sure you need it/it's worth it.

If you have your heart completely set on Cambridge for Political Science, you'll need to work really hard. Psychology, philosophy and drama are all seen a s 'soft' subjects by Russel group universities and applicants with less than two 'hard' subjects are at a large disadvantage. Only applying with 3.5 A-levels, two in 'soft' subjects, would basically ruin your chance of an offer. So if you really reallly want to do Cambridge, i would keep all four subjects. It would probably be really difficult (unless your'e a great student, i don't know of course) but honestly otherwise your application won't be very competitive.
    Either way, good luck for A levels !!
    I wouldn’t call Philosophy as a soft subject, it’s just not a facilitating subject but that doesn’t make it soft. In fact I know many people who went into Cambridge with only 3 A levels and one facilitating subject. So it really depends on who you are rather than the grades. At the end of the day, they look at you as a person and grades alone cannot get you a place. Also, I thought an application would be better with three good graded solid a levels rather than four with a slight chance of disappointment even through hard work. I will see though but the EPQ actually makes you stand out more because it will give universities an idea of what you would make out of a free project which would give an impression off. But I’ll see anyways and thanks for your advise!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.