The Student Room Group

Moving on from a failed Interview

Hi everyone

What tips do you all have about moving on after failing at an interview?

I had a break in between my undergrad and masters where I attended quite a few interviews, mostly competency based. A lot of the time my nerves get the better of me and I end up talking rubbish and looking like an idiot.

This interview that I attended was such a good opportunity and was related to both of my degrees, so although I know there's plenty more chances out there I can't help but feel I messed up on such an important thing. Really feel as though my motivation has dropped to 0% and my confidence at interviews has gone even lower.

I know I deserve a good job now but I'm finding getting over my nerves and the disappointment of this interview to be a real problem
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
theres nothing you can do but keep trying sadly
Original post by Flx1
Hi everyone

I had a break in between my undergrad and masters where I attended quite a few interviews, mostly competency based. A lot of the time my nerves get the better of me and I end up talking rubbish and looking like an idiot.

This interview that I attended was such a good opportunity and was related to my degree, so although I know there's plenty more chances out there I can't help but feel I messed up on such an important thing. Really feel as though my motivation has dropped to 0% and my confidence at interviews has gone even lower.

I know I deserve a good job now but I'm finding getting over my nerves and the disappointment of this interview to be a real problem

You are not alone at all, there are a lot of graduates like yourself stuck in a rut so don't feel like a failure - you can only learn from experience.

Have you received any feedback from your interviewers on where you are going wrong?
Did you prepare? You should go into competency interviews with multiple examples for all the common questions which helps with confidence since they're asking things you already know the answer to.
Original post by Flx1
Hi everyone

This interview that I attended was such a good opportunity and was related to both of my degrees, so although I know there's plenty more chances out there I can't help but feel I messed up on such an important thing. Really feel as though my motivation has dropped to 0% and my confidence at interviews has gone even lower.

I got feedback so I knew where to improve next time & I got excited about the next job I was applying for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending