Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

What tips do you all have about moving on after failing at an interview?

I had a break in between my undergrad and masters where I attended quite a few interviews, mostly competency based. A lot of the time my nerves get the better of me and I end up talking rubbish and looking like an idiot.

This interview that I attended was such a good opportunity and was related to both of my degrees, so although I know there's plenty more chances out there I can't help but feel I messed up on such an important thing. Really feel as though my motivation has dropped to 0% and my confidence at interviews has gone even lower.

I know I deserve a good job now but I'm finding getting over my nerves and the disappointment of this interview to be a real problem

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing you can do but keep trying sadly
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flx1)
    Hi everyone

I had a break in between my undergrad and masters where I attended quite a few interviews, mostly competency based. A lot of the time my nerves get the better of me and I end up talking rubbish and looking like an idiot.

This interview that I attended was such a good opportunity and was related to my degree, so although I know there's plenty more chances out there I can't help but feel I messed up on such an important thing. Really feel as though my motivation has dropped to 0% and my confidence at interviews has gone even lower.

I know I deserve a good job now but I'm finding getting over my nerves and the disappointment of this interview to be a real problem
    You are not alone at all, there are a lot of graduates like yourself stuck in a rut so don't feel like a failure - you can only learn from experience.

Have you received any feedback from your interviewers on where you are going wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Did you prepare? You should go into competency interviews with multiple examples for all the common questions which helps with confidence since they're asking things you already know the answer to.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flx1)
    Hi everyone

This interview that I attended was such a good opportunity and was related to both of my degrees, so although I know there's plenty more chances out there I can't help but feel I messed up on such an important thing. Really feel as though my motivation has dropped to 0% and my confidence at interviews has gone even lower.

I got feedback so I knew where to improve next time & I got excited about the next job I was applying for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.