Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I need a hand translating this sentence as the change in tense confuses me:

"He assured me that he would be here soon".

I translated this as:

"Me aseguró que estaría aquí dentro de poco".

Is this correct? Does anyone have any notes/ advice for translating sentences that have multiple tenses?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gtmharnett)
    Hi there,

I need a hand translating this sentence as the change in tense confuses me:

"He assured me that he would be here soon".

I translated this as:

"Me aseguró que estaría aquí dentro de poco".

Is this correct? Does anyone have any notes/ advice for translating sentences that have multiple tenses?

Thanks
    That's correct

In this case, the fact that the sentence contains two tenses doesn't make any difference; you can break it down into the two verb phrases it contains ("he assured me" and "he would be here soon") and translate each verb accordingly using what you know about when to use the preterite and the conditional. However, this is only the case because your second verb happens to be in the present conditional, which stays in the present conditional in an indirect statement just like in English.

Spanish has what is called "sequence of tenses", which is when a verb in an indirect statement (indirect statements/reported speech are sentences/clauses like "I said that...", "you thought that..." and so on) changes tense according to the tense of the verb accompanying it. For example, "quiero ir al cine" is a direct statement, but if you wanted to say "I said that I wanted to go to the cinema" (an indirect statement), "decir" would have to be in the preterite and "querer" would have to be in the imperfect, so you would say "dije que quería ir al cine."

The general rule is as follows:
    if a verb would be in the imperfect or present tense in a direct statement, it would be in the imperfect in an equivalent indirect statement
    preterite/pluperfect in a direct statement -> pluperfect in an indirect statement
    future perfect/conditional perfect in a direct statement -> conditional perfect in an indirect statement
    future/present conditional in a direct statement -> present conditional in an indirect statement.

I don't know how many of these tenses you've learnt; I just wanted to cover all bases. Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    That's correct

In this case, the fact that the sentence contains two tenses doesn't make any difference; you can break it down into the two verb phrases it contains ("he assured me" and "he would be here soon" and translate each verb accordingly using what you know about when to use the preterite and the conditional. However, this is only the case because your second verb happens to be in the present conditional, which stays in the present conditional in an indirect statement just like in English.

Spanish has what is called "sequence of tenses", which is when a verb in an indirect statement (indirect statements/reported speech are sentences/clauses like "I said that...", "you thought that..." and so on) changes tense according to the tense of the verb accompanying it. For example, "quiero ir al cine" is a direct statement, but if you wanted to say "I said that I wanted to go to the cinema" (an indirect statement), "decir" would have to be in the preterite and "querer" would have to be in the imperfect, so you would say "dije que quería ir al cine."

The general rule is as follows:
    if a verb would be in the imperfect or present tense in a direct statement, it would be in the imperfect in an equivalent indirect statement
    preterite/pluperfect in a direct statement -> pluperfect in an indirect statement
    future perfect/conditional perfect in a direct statement -> conditional perfect in an indirect statement
    future/present conditional in a direct statement -> present conditional in an indirect statement.

I don't know how many of these tenses you've learnt; I just wanted to cover all bases. Hope this helped
    That was a very, very helpful answer thank you so much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.