The Student Room Group

Is it worth studying History at Uni?

Hi guys,

I'm currently in Sixth Form and studying A Level History as well as two BTECs in Applied Science and Media. I really do love History and am very good at it, however, I just want to know whether it's worth studying at university because I feel like I could do well in it and would enjoy it but I don't want to get into a ton of debt and then not have many job prospects post uni.

Could anyone let me know whether it's worth studying by itself or perhaps combining History with another subject (subject recommendations would be really helpful) to study at uni?

Thanks very much.
-Job prospects depend on the uni and your uni grade.
-History lets you enter law, politics, civil service, probably IB if you wanted. The options are there and it's a well-respected degree.
Hey,
It just depends on what you want to do,
Can you see yourself being a history teacher?
Do you want to have a career involving history?

As the user above me said, history opens a pathway for other options that can be studied after your degree.

About the joint honours, if you're in year 12 you've got time to decide whether you want to do history (I completely changed what I wanted to do in the of the year 12) and if you're in year 13 then you can always apply for history and phone up the university in January to change courses.

Although history may not have many direct career options, there will be opportunities out there for a degree in history and if you really enjoy it then its worth spending money on it than a degree that is more likely to have more prospects but you won't enjoy as much and therefore less likely to do well.

...But what I do know, I want to do a language. :P

All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest