Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter was accepted for a study abroad program at QMU. I would like an honest, not politically correct answer about what the area is like today in October 2017, particularly the safety of it, especially for a young american girl who is not particularly street savvy. Not stupid, just not street savvy. I am obviously asking because of some of the negative things I have heard about the area of London, the safety and non-muslim girls being harassed for their dress etc. Also, the reputation of the University seems very mixed. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You're very very ignorant.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-seller.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logiclad87)
    Lol, what does the link have to do with this thread?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KKBW)
    My daughter was accepted for a study abroad program at QMU. I would like an honest, not politically correct answer about what the area is like today in October 2017, particularly the safety of it, especially for a young american girl who is not particularly street savvy. Not stupid, just not street savvy. I am obviously asking because of some of the negative things I have heard about the area of London, the safety and non-muslim girls being harassed for their dress etc. Also, the reputation of the University seems very mixed. Thank you!
    Hi. I'm a student at QMUL right now so I'll try to be as honest as posible.

-the area itself, Mile End, is a dump. It is not very clean and it smells pretty bad. The university campus is the only nice building in the area. On the bright side, Mile End is not far from the centre of London. It is only a short train ride away so your daughter will be able to visit the nicer parts of London.

-in terms of safety, Mile End is neither more or less dangerous than other parts of London. You will probably have the same level of danger in London as American cities. You may get the occasional homeless person following and hassling you for money. Threatening to call the police on them will make them back off though.

-the university is actually well-regarded as it is part of the Russell Group of universities. The department I study with is very good.

-I've never heard of non-Muslim girls being harassed for the way they dress. I've never faced harassment from anyone for the way I dress.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KKBW)
    And what about muslim girls being harassed????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logiclad87)
    You weird muthaf***ka

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.