Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today I tried to get the train to work experience but was told that at 16, I am now an adult. This is the first time this has happened to me and quite confusing as yesterday I was perfectly able to buy a child ticket. Anyway it turns out in order to buy a child ticket in the west midlands at least you need to apply for a 16-18 photocard which should enable to prove your age and that you are in full time education. According to the network west midlands website it should allow you to buy child rate tickets on the bus,tram and train. I am soooo annoyed because I had my bus pass with me which I get from school and it even shows that I am a child and I've only just turned 16 so it's expected that I don't have a 16-18 photocard or so i thought ugh. As a result of this inconvenience I ended up catching the bus and being 1 hour and 30 mins late to the second day of my work experience placement. RIP me luckily they were very understanding about the whole situation. Warning to all 16 year olds or future 16 year olds!: get a 16-18 photocard ASAP. Also it doesn't help that I look wayyy older than I actually am.

ReputationRep:
    In my neck of the woods all 16 year olds are charged an adult rate (although you can get a discount with a 16-25 railcard).

ReputationRep:
    Most places charge you as an adult from 16 (sometimes lower too), but in the eyes of the law you become an adult at 18. Get a railcard, it'll save you money

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.