The Student Room Group

Sleep Paralysis

Have any of you guys ever had sleep paralysis? How do you get rid of it? What did you see?

Spoiler

Original post by BlueEyes15
Have any of you guys ever had sleep paralysis? How do you get rid of it? What did you see?

Spoiler

I've had it plenty of times, I always see just what I would if I was actually awake which is my bedroom ceiling :lol: not entirely sure how to stop it happening but I wake up out of it from either loud noises or someone waking me up.
Reply 2
Original post by em_lj
I've had it plenty of times, I always see just what I would if I was actually awake which is my bedroom ceiling :lol: not entirely sure how to stop it happening but I wake up out of it from either loud noises or someone waking me up.

I find it scary af! It can be difficult to snap out of :/ and yeah most of the time I see my bedroom ceiling too :biggrin:
I find it scary af! It can be difficult to snap out of :/ and yeah most of the time I see my bedroom ceiling too :biggrin:

Absolutely same dw, I get scared of going to sleep after it happens :s-smilie: it's weird ini, I've always wondered why it happens
A lot of strange things. Mainly an old man dressed up on white, however he had no eyes or facial features, just a wrinkly raisin-like face. I do remember once when I was young a sort of animal thing kept opening and slamming the door, and it felt really real I was hugging onto my mum cuz I slept in between my mum and da till like 7. Damn now im reminiscing and reliving all the weird things when I was young now xD
Reply 5

Spoiler

Can't count the amount of times that it's happened to me lol.
Reply 6
Original post by Black Water
Can't count the amount of times that it's happened to me lol.

yeahh it happens a lottt
Reply 7
yeahh it happens a lottt

Yeah. Best thing to do during it is, to close your eyes and relax. Don't force yourself to wake and don't open your eyes, it makes it worse.
I get sleep paralysis constantly. Every time I become lucid I wake into sleep paralysis, and this happens a lot.

I don't see anything scary, which is scary in itself, because I EXPECT to see something bad... I expect something to pop up in my face any second which causes a lot of anxiety. If I see anything at all it might be like cuckoo clocks swinging on pendulums in the darkness.

When I first got sleep paralysis I would hear things though. Usually nonsense phrases (like "and that's why Bobby's a ginger") repeated on loop and it would get constantly louder and louder until it was like shrieking in my ear. One time a clown ran in and stabbed me with a carving knife I guess - but I'm not afraid of clowns. Oh and I still get this horrible one now where I feel demon hands molesting and tickling me, that's the worst.

It's impossible to wake up and it lasts forever. If I just relax it feels like my entire body has intense pins and needles, it's totally numb, which is unpleasant. If I try to move I often end up back in a dream. Like I roll off my bed and fall down a bottomless pit or roll off and then start running around the room (dreaming) and fly out the window. Once or twice I have had sleep paralysis and had a blanket covering my mouth and nose in real life, and I thought I was going to suffocate and die. I kept dreaming I'd pulled the blanket off but then snap back and it's still over my mouth.
Reply 9
Yes, Seems to happen if I'm sleeping on my back.

Properly terrifying. It's like you can 'feel' your brain sending the signal to move e.g your leg, but nothing happens! I can't speak or do anything. To get out of it, I either go back to sleep or try and move my toes/fingers which sometimes works also.

Also, there's almost always a 'person' or 'someone' who I can't see properly (as I'm stuck looking at the ceiling), in the corner of the room, looking in at me. It's not fun when It happens.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by _NMcC_
Yes, Seems to happen if I'm sleeping on my back.

Properly terrifying. It's like you can 'feel' your brain sending the signal to move e.g your leg, but nothing happens! I can't speak or do anything. To get out of it, I either go back to sleep or try and move my toes/fingers which sometimes works also.

Also, there's almost always a 'person' or 'someone' who I can't see properly (as I'm stuck looking at the ceiling), in the corner of the room, looking in at me. It's not fun when It happens.

Yeah. Wiggling your toes and fingers can help to get out of it. Whenever I'm in it, I just close my eyes and relax, I don't struggle which can make things worse.

Quick Reply

Latest