Turn on thread page Beta

M452 - Apprentice Council Tax Threshold Motion 2017 watch

ReputationRep:
    M452 - Apprentice Council Tax Threshold Motion 2017, TSR Conservative & Unionist Party
    This house believes that the income threshold for apprentices who are required to pay council tax should be increased, with additional consideration for London.

Currently only apprentices who earn less than £195 per week are exempt from paying council tax. Full-time students in college and university are already exempt, as are 18 and 19 year olds in full-time education. It is the belief of the Conservative Party that to encourage apprenticeships we ought to treat apprentices on a more equal footing to students in full-time education, and providing a tax-relief to more apprentices will reduce the burden they face entering the world of work whilst also learning valuable qualifications.

Under the Local Government Finance Act 1992, the definition of an 'apprentice' has the meaning for the time being assigned to it by order made by the Secretary of State. This house calls on the Secretary of State to update the definition of an 'apprentice', ensuring that such update increases the basic income threshold and adding a separate income threshold for apprentices in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    M452 - Apprentice Council Tax Threshold Motion 2017, TSR Conservative & Unionist Party
    This house believes that the income threshold for apprentices who are required to pay council tax should be increased, with additional consideration for London.

Currently only apprentices who earn less than £195 per week are exempt from paying council tax. Full-time students in college and university are already exempt, as are 18 and 19 year olds in full-time education. It is the belief of the Conservative Party that to encourage apprenticeships we ought to treat apprentices on a more equal footing to students in full-time education, and providing a tax-relief to more apprentices will reduce the burden they face entering the world of work whilst also learning valuable qualifications.

Under the Local Government Finance Act 1992, the definition of an 'apprentice' has the meaning for the time being assigned to it by order made by the Secretary of State. This house calls on the Secretary of State to update the definition of an 'apprentice', ensuring that such update increases the basic income threshold and adding a separate income threshold for apprentices in London.
    Thoroughly agree, Aye.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Brilliant motion from _Morsey_ . Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. Is only fair that apprentices are treated the same as those in full time education.

Aye
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, it is an unecessary change that only goes to further complicate the tax code and being able to earn over £10k p/a without having to pay council tax is more than generous enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Nay, it is an unecessary change that only goes to further complicate the tax code and being able to earn over £10k p/a without having to pay council tax is more than generous enough as it is.
    I would argue that increasing a threshold is hardly complicating the tax code, and whilst adding a separate clause for London may seem to complicate it, it only seems appropriate given such similar adjustments already apply for students who wish to study in London, such that the current maximum maintenance loan stands at just a smudge over £11k, which is high in comparison to the figure you quoted when you consider the fact that a proportion of those students probably won't be living in London during holidays etc or might only be on 39 to 42 week contracts as per their course.

---

In expansion to the motion submitted to the house, I would also implore the Secretary of State to investigate what could be done in applying additional exemptions to apprentices who may wish to habituate in a typically defined student household. As it stands, if an apprentice [eligible to pay council tax] were to habituate in a shared student household, the apprentice would be liable to pay the full council tax for that property tax minus 25%; which seems highly unreasonable and would definitely deter both apprentices and landlords from entering such agreements.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    An excellent motion with clear, pragmatic aims and desires. Aye.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm inclined to agree with the last paragraph, possibly not with the first two though.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how many do pay? As it is a tax per household and many apprentices live with one or both parents, I would expect.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just make Apprentices the same as those in full-time education and run the system in a similar fashion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Any idea how many do pay? As it is a tax per household and many apprentices live with one or both parents, I would expect.
    I was unable to find any breakdown of such council tax payments, however it is interesting to note the age-groups under which apprenticeships are started:

"People aged 25 and over accounted for 44% (224,100) of apprenticeship starts in 2015/16. People aged 19-24 accounted for 30% (153,860) and under 19s 26% (131,420)." http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06113

I think it would be a positive to remove any stigma or association that apprentices are generally viewed as school leavers or young adults who still live with their parents. We ought to be encouraging younger people to look further afield when looking at the prospect of apprenticeships, and I feel that reducing any burden of wanting to relocate to begin an apprenticeship should be welcomed.

(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Why not just make Apprentices the same as those in full-time education and run the system in a similar fashion.
    I do believe that under some conditions, an apprentice should be considered as an equal to those in full-time education, particularly with student households whereby such households are exempt from paying 100% council tax providing all occupants are in full-time education. Or the government could for example, look at adding a condition aimed particularly at the first year of an apprenticeship, since apprentices are only entitled to the national minimum wage for their age group after 12 months of completing the apprenticeship.

In fairness to what Jammy Duel pointed out, since apprentices do receive wages it is only reasonable to expect them to pay council tax at some point. For example Vodafone currently has an apprenticeship, based in Leeds, advertised on the .gov website with a salary of £21.k p.a. Clearly somebody in this position of salary would be expected to contribute towards council tax.

However the current threshold does not seem fit for purpose, and the fact it does not take into account geographical location, something the student system does, is in itself unfair. More ought to be done to help and encourage those undertaking apprenticeships.

Apprentices were ignored by the Government in the 24th Parliamentary term, they must not be ignored now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    I was unable to find any breakdown of such council tax payments, however it is interesting to note the age-groups under which apprenticeships are started:

"People aged 25 and over accounted for 44% (224,100) of apprenticeship starts in 2015/16. People aged 19-24 accounted for 30% (153,860) and under 19s 26% (131,420)." http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06113

I think it would be a positive to remove any stigma or association that apprentices are generally viewed as school leavers or young adults who still live with their parents. We ought to be encouraging younger people to look further afield when looking at the prospect of apprenticeships, and I feel that reducing any burden of wanting to relocate to begin an apprenticeship should be welcomed.

I do believe that under some conditions, an apprentice should be considered as an equal to those in full-time education, particularly with student households whereby such households are exempt from paying 100% council tax providing all occupants are in full-time education. Or the government could for example, look at adding a condition aimed particularly at the first year of an apprenticeship, since apprentices are only entitled to the national minimum wage for their age group after 12 months of completing the apprenticeship.

In fairness to what Jammy Duel pointed out, since apprentices do receive wages it is only reasonable to expect them to pay council tax at some point. For example Vodafone currently has an apprenticeship, based in Leeds, advertised on the .gov website with a salary of £21.k p.a. Clearly somebody in this position of salary would be expected to contribute towards council tax.

However the current threshold does not seem fit for purpose, and the fact it does not take into account geographical location, something the student system does, is in itself unfair. More ought to be done to help and encourage those undertaking apprenticeships.

Apprentices were ignored by the Government in the 24th Parliamentary term, they must not be ignored now.
    I agree with that position but surely any system that takes into account apprentice income is going to start to get over-complicated?

ReputationRep:
    i think council tax should be left up to the councils.

abstain.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree with a separate definition in London. I would be happy for local authorities to define the threshold I think, though I'm not sure.

Either way, I agree with this in principle, but would need to make sure apprentices weren't treated more favourably than people in employment as a result. We would also need to see increases in council tax on higher band properties to compensate for it, or some other increase in council funding.

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    This motion has entered division.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.