Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Let me start this off by saying I don't even know this guy but he seems over confident and full of himself. I first noticed that he kept glancing me when I was sat with my group of friends in a college computer room, eventually he shouted really loud at me asking if I can talk whilst laughing at me. It was so embarrassing because I'm an introverted person and don't speak much... everyone was just staring at me and I didn't know what to say. I just left and after that I saw him around and he continues staring at me. I didn't know where to go once and he showed me the way but I still dislike him after him being rude to me initially... I felt that he was attacking my personality and he looks at me like I'm strange. I'm going to see him around more often as we've taken the same class and I don't know how to behave around him because what if he embarrasses me again

Oh and I also have social anxiety

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel
    I got SAVAGED when I wore my slazenger creps to college

ReputationRep:
    People said this sort of thing to me when I was in school, asked questions like 'are you a mute'. But you know what, you must be fascinating to him, or why would he give you that much attention? I get that you don't want the attention, but honestly, you intrigue him or he wouldn't be taking an interest in you. He is going about it in an immature way, by making you feel uncomfortable, but he probably just doesn't understand you, or more introverted people, because that's not his way of being. Think about, you don't really understand his way of being either, right? He's probably feeling just as bad as you about himself socially, in fact I'd say there's a strong chance he might be feeling worse than you, because he feels like he needs to be loud and be the centre of attention - he needs that approval from others. I know it doesn't feel like it, but trust me, idiots like that are a LOT more vulnerable than they make out. They are usually the hugest most insecure cowards. You might not believe me now, but you get to see it's true with time. There's nothing great about him, don't give him the privilege of thinking there is.

ReputationRep:
    I completely know where you’re coming from. I’ve had this throughout my high school life. I learned to just be myself and not rise to them. They’ll get over it. Just be yourself and act like you would normally. Trust me, keep your head high and don’t think about it. Especially in a situation where they are staring, a good thing to do is to just be very sarcastic and turn around like ‘ooh who you looking at’. Just humour them. It might be embarrassing but seriously it’ll make you feel better once it’s humoured.
    Probably immature anyway. Don’t stress over it lovely. X
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by banoffeee)
    People said this sort of thing to me when I was in school, asked questions like 'are you a mute'. But you know what, you must be fascinating to him, or why would he give you that much attention? I get that you don't want the attention, but honestly, you intrigue him or he wouldn't be taking an interest in you. He is going about it in an immature way, by making you feel uncomfortable, but he probably just doesn't understand you, or more introverted people, because that's not his way of being. Think about, you don't really understand his way of being either, right? He's probably feeling just as bad as you about himself socially, in fact I'd say there's a strong chance he might be feeling worse than you, because he feels like he needs to be loud and be the centre of attention - he needs that approval from others. I know it doesn't feel like it, but trust me, idiots like that are a LOT more vulnerable than they make out. They are usually the hugest most insecure cowards. You might not believe me now, but you get to see it's true with time. There's nothing great about him, don't give him the privilege of thinking there is.
    I just don't understand where people get that kind of confidence from. I mean he doesn't even know me yet he had the guts to say something like that to a stranger. I don't understand him honestly. If I'm so interesting to him then he shouldn't have put me on the spot like that but I get what you're saying.
    (Original post by Holl98)
    I completely know where you’re coming from. I’ve had this throughout my high school life. I learned to just be myself and not rise to them. They’ll get over it. Just be yourself and act like you would normally. Trust me, keep your head high and don’t think about it. Especially in a situation where they are staring, a good thing to do is to just be very sarcastic and turn around like ‘ooh who you looking at’. Just humour them. It might be embarrassing but seriously it’ll make you feel better once it’s humoured.
    Probably immature anyway. Don’t stress over it lovely. X
    I feel like there's something wrong with me personally.
    That's what I try to do, ignore it but sometimes it just gets too much.

ReputationRep:
    Just know that it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.

ReputationRep:
    Totally feel you here. Most of my primary and secondry and most likely apart of my uni contain bullying. But all you need to worry about is how you see yourself, I bet you're a pretty cool dude. Just feel good about yourself and keep with a great group of friends, you'll pull through it. :3

(Original post by Emerald777O)
    Just know that it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.
    I'll remember that !
    (Original post by JaffaNeko)
    Totally feel you here. Most of my primary and secondry and most likely apart of my uni contain bullying. But all you need to worry about is how you see yourself, I bet you're a pretty cool dude. Just feel good about yourself and keep with a great group of friends, you'll pull through it. :3
    Thank you so much! And I'm a girl btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll remember that !

Thank you so much! And I'm a girl btw
    No worries! And I'm in the phase of calling everyone dude at the moment sorry aha

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand where people get that kind of confidence from. I mean he doesn't even know me yet he had the guts to say something like that to a stranger. I don't understand him honestly. If I'm so interesting to him then he shouldn't have put me on the spot like that but I get what you're saying.

I feel like there's something wrong with me personally.
    That's what I try to do, ignore it but sometimes it just gets too much.
    More than anything it's stupid and immature. It's not real confidence he's got. Intimidating someone else makes him feel more powerful, such are the limitations of his mind.

There's nothing wrong with you. You're an individual and you don't feel the need to draw unnecessary attention to yourself. With time and experience, you'll get more comfortable with yourself and you'll start being able to come up with comebacks. I never thought I would be able to but in the end I did. I bet you could take kids like him down a peg or to. You don't even need to be rude to do it.
    E.g.
    I remember once at school there was a guy, who was always mocking and intimidating me like this, to the point where he really did cross the line. Once I remember him shouting at me "If there's a party i'll invite you" from across the room. Obviously i wasn't the kind of person to go to parties, where they used to vomit together in the same bucket (Yes, that was a thing). When I didn't reply to him after a while he shouted "i am being serious, if there's a party i'll invite you. Did you think I was joking? I wasn't joking" The only thing I said to him was "I didn't really give it much thought to be honest". And that really shut him up. Turns out he actually really fancied me and even after I left school would go to lengths just to try to get me to sleep with him. He viewed me as a 'challenge', of course. But i know that guy who used to shout all those things is literally one of the weakest people i've ever met, absolutely riddled with insecurities. Making other people feel small, whilst attracting attention to themselves at the same time, making themselves look like the big guy, the funny guy, is the biggest protection against their own insecurities.

(Original post by Jigsaws mum)
    I know how you feel
    I got SAVAGED when I wore my slazenger creps to college
    Boi ✋ 👉 What are thoooooooooseeeeeee, lemmme flame yo ahhhh if i see you wearing those, you can't wear the Slazenger crep lyke dat, dat can't run

ReputationRep:

because if hes bigger than you, what are you gonna do? if you happen to be a black belt in karate- well ****, but hes gonna take those odds

ReputationRep:
    He might've not meant to hurt you and it sounds like he was trying to get you to talk to him

Thank you guys for the replies. I know I shouldn't take it to heart what he says but it kind of hurts you know

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.