Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost my life savings gambling and don't know what to do Watch

I'm 24 and living at home, doing an access course with plans to go to UNI. I had 11k savings and made the mistake of gambling off friends advice (online gambling). I made a loss recently of 500 pounds, chasing that loss I ended up losing 2500.

Today I bet my remaining 8500 on a sure to win bet, and I just lost it. I genuinely don't know what to do. I don't have a job at the moment due to concentrating on studies, and I literally spent years making that money. I feel devastated, depressed and I don't know what to tell my family.

For sure I'll never gamble again, I've just deleted my account, but I really need some advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 24 and living at home, doing an access course with plans to go to UNI. I had 11k savings and made the mistake of gambling off friends advice (online gambling). I made a loss recently of 500 pounds, chasing that loss I ended up losing 2500.

Today I bet my remaining 8500 on a sure to win bet, and I just lost it. I genuinely don't know what to do. I don't have a job at the moment due to concentrating on studies, and I literally spent years making that money. I feel devastated, depressed and I don't know what to tell my family.

For sure I'll never gamble again, I've just deleted my account, but I really need some advice.
    don't gamble.

(Original post by maxway)
    I can help you gamble it back if you can help me. PM if interested.
    Bit confused on how you could help with that?

ReputationRep:

I guess you 'gambled' your life away.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

It sucks you lost that money but what's done is done and all you can do is learn from your mistake. Try to put it past you and focus on the future, you're 24, £11k is a lot of money but it's not life changing, you will have that £11k back within a few years if you dedicate yourself to it. Just make sure you never forget what losing this money feels like, then you'll be sure never to make the same mistake again.

ReputationRep:
    What was the bet you put money on tonight?

(Original post by isittting)
    What was the bet you put money on tonight?
    Man city to beat Wolverhampton within 90 minutes.

Jesus what were the odds I can see why you did that tbf

ReputationRep:
    Jesus what were the odds I can see why you did that tbf
    The odds are nowhere near good enough to put your entire life savings on it. A large bet is fair, betting everything is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    remove gambling from your life. turn over a new page.

(Original post by Student-95)
    The odds are nowhere near good enough to put your entire life savings on it. A large bet is fair, betting everything is stupid.
    true tbf I'm just saying you would have thought man city would beat a championship side about 10 nil in their current form

ReputationRep:
    dont fall for people's influence on you

ReputationRep:
    what were the odds btw just asking skrt skrt

(Original post by Student-95)
    It is, I just need to find a way to get over this as I'm genuinely devastated. I've learn to never gamble again hopefully.

(Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    what were the odds btw just asking skrt skrt
    They were like 1.083 or something, though I bet 10 mins in when they were 1.10.

It is, I just need to find a way to get over this as I'm genuinely devastated. I've learn to never gamble again hopefully.
    If the whole world was watching I'd still dance with you

maybe you could focus on becoming a player for man city? that would sure recover the losses. or maybe even Wolverhampton? 15 k a week thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but this just has to be a learning curve. You need to learn from this that you should not be gambling, because no offence...you cannot control yourself or make rational decision when you gamble. Because no one would bet that amount rationally unless they literally had money to throw away.

Your life savings are gone. Accept it. Don't chase it and make it worse. You'll only have yourself to blame.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm sorry but this just has to be a learning curve. You need to learn from this that you should not be gambling, because no offence...you cannot control yourself or make rational decision when you gamble. Because no one would bet that amount rationally unless they literally had money to throw away.

Your life savings are gone. Accept it. Don't chase it and make it worse. You'll only have yourself to blame.
    This is true, it just pains me as that was years of work.

Don't know whether to tell family or not, my dad would murder me.

No, not hopefully. Don't do it again.

I've gambled in the past and lost a lot too. It made me feel sick and horrid. You lose sense of the value of money and it is damaging in so many ways as you have experienced.

It is painful now but in time you will feel better and stronger for turning your back on it too. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.