Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost my life savings gambling and don't know what to do Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Noone has observed that your behaviour is typical of an addict. Perhaps this is because it is patently obvious. You can see this as revelation of your fatal flaw. You can give up gambling today but 5 years later your tendency towards compulsive behaviour may show up in other areas.
    Consider this a gift perhaps an insight into the future.That 11k may represent a proportional amount of Cocaine which you might have packed into your nasal cavities over years of slow decline and self destruction. As it stands you blew all your money in a night but you're still basking on a massive safety net - most people fall straight into penniless obscurity.
    Mistakes like this have to result in self improvement and should be seen as catalysts for positive change. You can earn that money back, you'll learn how to live on less, you'll learn resilience, patience, stamina and you will outstrip yourself like a runner outpacing his own shadow.

(Original post by the graincloud)
    Noone has observed that your behaviour is typical of an addict. Perhaps this is because it is patently obvious. You can see this as revelation of your fatal flaw. You can give up gambling today but 5 years later your tendency towards compulsive behaviour may show up in other areas.
    Consider this a gift perhaps an insight into the future.That 11k may represent a proportional amount of Cocaine which you might have packed into your naval cavities over years of slow decline and self destruction. As it stands you blew all your money in a night but you're still basking on a massive safety net - most people fall straight into penniless obscurity.
    Mistakes like this have to result in self improvement and should be seen as catalysts for positive change. You can earn that money back, you'll learn how to live on less, you'll learn resilience, patience, stamina and you will outstrip yourself like a runner outpacing his own shadow.
    This is true, it's not the act of gambling itself I just have an addicting personality I think. When I was younger I'd play certain video games 16+ hours a day, up until recently I was a smoker, having only quit 2 months ago.

I have nothing at the moment, but I do worry if when I hopefully go through uni and have a career and start making good money, I go down this path again.

I'm speaking to an adviser at the website I use and I am getting my account banned (self exclusion they call it).

I think what hurts me the most is that I worked for years, paying rent at my old flat and doing *****y minimum wage jobs to make that money, now it's all gone and it was all for nothing. Is it worth me telling my family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is true, it's not the act of gambling itself I just have an addicting personality I think. When I was younger I'd play certain video games 16+ hours a day, up until recently I was a smoker, having only quit 2 months ago.

I have nothing at the moment, but I do worry if when I hopefully go through uni and have a career and start making good money, I go down this path again.

I'm speaking to an adviser at the website I use and I am getting my account banned (self exclusion they call it).

I think what hurts me the most is that I worked for years, paying rent at my old flat and doing *****y minimum wage jobs to make that money, now it's all gone and it was all for nothing. Is it worth me telling my family?
    That depends on how good your relationship is really. I think you need the kind of support that only family can truly offer because you effectively need to start again with renewed energy focus and determination and to do that you need the input of people who know you intimately well.

I've just applied for like 9 part time jobs on indeed, not much but its a start.

ReputationRep:
    Jheez and here’s me crying about the £14 i lost to a fraudster 😭 you could join a trading business and you’d be making around 10k a month which is very decent and I would tell your family asap they could help you out unless your black

ReputationRep:
    Bit confused on how you could help with that?
    PM me with your email and I can see what can I do. AT least I was in situation like this I gambled away 10k I won

I'm 24 and living at home, doing an access course with plans to go to UNI. I had 11k savings and made the mistake of gambling off friends advice (online gambling). I made a loss recently of 500 pounds, chasing that loss I ended up losing 2500.

Today I bet my remaining 8500 on a sure to win bet, and I just lost it. I genuinely don't know what to do. I don't have a job at the moment due to concentrating on studies, and I literally spent years making that money. I feel devastated, depressed and I don't know what to tell my family.

For sure I'll never gamble again, I've just deleted my account, but I really need some advice.
    I feel for you, at the minute trying to understand the implications of losing so much is near impossible, so just try and relax and take some time to reflect without doing anything major, whether thats gambling more or doing anything else thats drastic.

Trust me it could be worse, many people get into similar situations and end up owing money trying to make back what they have lost. If you ever think that its possible to make the money back that you've lost, its literally your mind playing tricks on you.

Even if you won the bet today, what would happen next time if you try and chase back a lose and end up in similar situation? Its often the success of chasing losses that really creates this cognitive bias and comes back to bit. Unless you know what your doing, the odds are in favour of the bookmaker, and they will be likely making £3-£5 for every £100 you stake on average.

There is a solution and thats time. Set some new goals until you go to uni, take up a new hobby or fill your time with evenings at the gym. Give yourself some opportunities to put yourself in experiences that will have a positive impact on your life and before you know it you'll be in a situation where you will look back and think god that was crazy but im all good now!

Dont stare at money too long, its medusa!

(Original post by Leahmitch)
    Jheez and here’s me crying about the £14 i lost to a fraudster 😭 you could join a trading business and you’d be making around 10k a month which is very decent and I would tell your family asap they could help you out unless your black
    I'd get destroyed if I told my family, I live with them so there'd be no escaping it also.

Luckily I'm not in a situation where I'm paying bills atm, otherwise I'd be screwed.

ReputationRep:
    How the ****?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 and living at home, doing an access course with plans to go to UNI. I had 11k savings and made the mistake of gambling off friends advice (online gambling). I made a loss recently of 500 pounds, chasing that loss I ended up losing 2500.

Today I bet my remaining 8500 on a sure to win bet, and I just lost it. I genuinely don't know what to do. I don't have a job at the moment due to concentrating on studies, and I literally spent years making that money. I feel devastated, depressed and I don't know what to tell my family.

For sure I'll never gamble again, I've just deleted my account, but I really need some advice.
    It's just money. Material stuff. Worse things have happened and you're still basically fine. Learn the lesson*, be honest with your family, don't spend time grieving over it or pitying yourself because neither of those things will help with anything.

*The lesson is not that gambling is bad. The lesson is that chasing losses and gambling amounts you really can't afford to lose is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Damn sorry to hear about your loss. Keep you head high and work hard and you will have that money back in no time. Remember you are paying for the experience/thrill not trying to win money.

ReputationRep:

Hi Anon, how are you? did you manage to stay off gambling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAURATCS)
    Hi Anon, how are you? did you manage to stay off gambling?
    He already blew his life savings so he has no money left to gamble with 😂

Can't throw money away if you have no money to throw away.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.