Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Darren, just asking for some advice really I've recently been off work due to having a fungal infection which I was signed off work for 2 weeks as I work with open food and customers , so obviously my attendance level has gone from the 3 percent that Tesco would prefer, to 5.2 for the first week and then up to 10.2 for the second week, so i obviously had i back to work interview now here is the issue I've got I was given a second warning for the 1st week and a final warning for the 2nd week, is this allowed I've been punished twice for the same on going problem according to my union rep this isn't allowed but was just asking has anyone else had the same problem and were do I stand do I have a right to appeal and what's the realistic outcome, like I said been given 2 warnings for the same medical problem

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this does feel unjust and I suggest you appeal. It sounds as though you had one medical condition, one ongoing absence, one medical certificate, but you have received two warnings despite it all being one incident.

Not only that, but what are they suggesting you should have done, come into work? Surely not, that would have put public health at risk. They do need to apply common sense when managing sickness absence.

Were I advising the employer I would not even have recommended giving one warning, let alone two.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.