Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    what do the teachers look for on a personal statement ( sport and exercise science) ?

ReputationRep:
    Basically you want to write why you want to be on the course (be very enthusiastic!)
    You might want to write about why you would make a good uni student.

But don't bore them to death about some random life event, employment history etc. Unless you can link them to the above points.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elouevans)
    what do the teachers look for on a personal statement ( sport and exercise science) ?
    Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum where you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

I'll tag in Sheffield Hallam University in case they have any specific advice for you.

Do check out our sports science personal statement collection too. Some will be better than others, and some may even have a little commentary at the bottom, feel free to ask me my opinion on some of them (I'm very critical) if you want. Though I should point out that all my opinions are simply that, opinions.:yep:

Hop that helps.

MR

NOTE: do not copy anything from these because you will be done for plagiarism.:fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! i will have a look at that😇💁🏼
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

A personal statement should include why you want to study the course and what previous education/experience you've had that has made you more interested in the subject, explaining what those things have taught you that you will be able to apply to your studies at university.

Have a read through the description from the course here. Try to pick out some aspects of the course from the description that sound most interesting or inspiring to you, and (in your own words) put them into your personal statement as some of the reasons why you want to study sport and exercise science. I always do this when applying for jobs, as it makes the company (or in this case the uni) know that you have the same values as them and would work well with them.

You could include some extra-curricular activities you do if they relate to the course or coming to uni, in your case sports would be a good thing to add, but make sure you link them to things that you've learnt from them (e.g. leadership skills, teamwork skills, communication skills, punctuality, self-discipline, motivation or whatever they have actually taught you). Whatever you talk about, try to mention these transferable skills or qualities that you can bring to the university.

Good luck,

Ellie
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi elouevans! :hello:

Sorry for the late response :frown: I spoke to one of the lecturers of the course and this is what he said about the personal statements:

"You need to indicate why you're interested in studying Sport and Exercise Science, talk about what you know about the course through your research and how you feel this will benefit them in the long term, e.g. career pathways. It is important to mention any personal relevant strengths, relating to examples and broader experiences outside of study, e.g. any relevant non-academic qualifications and experience."

Also, there is guidance of how to write your personal statement on UCAS, if you are struggling but if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will have an answer for you.

Reanne

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.