Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend wants to go on a break, how long should I wait? Watch

I won’t go into details but my boyfriend wants to go on a break. He doesn’t want to see or speak to me for a few days. We are very dependant on each other and he wants to change that. ( I understand 100% ) plus a bunch of other personal stuff is going on and he needs time to himself. Sounds so simple and I respect his decision 100%, however ......
    it’s my birthday next Wednesday, he’s supposed to come out for lunch with me and my parents on the day and then come to my birthday party on Saturday. my parents would be extremely disappointed if he didn’t come and he’s supposed to be meeting the rest of my family ...

I would do absolutely anything to have him there but I don’t know if he’s going to come... I can’t force him obviously and I would never but, what do I do? I would be absolutely gutted if he didn’t come. However I can’t text him as he asked for space?
    Or can I text him? When and saying what? I’m so lost I need helppppppp
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Asking him about something like your birthday shouldn't be a problem at all because you already had made those plans, theres no harm in seeing if its still going to happen. But if he wants a break he might not know if he'll be ready then, so maybe ask closer to the time??

ReputationRep:
    It's over. Who'd want to stay in a relationship in which one partner holds all of the power?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I won’t go into details but my boyfriend wants to go on a break. He doesn’t want to see or speak to me for a few days. We are very dependant on each other and he wants to change that. ( I understand 100% ) plus a bunch of other personal stuff is going on and he needs time to himself. Sounds so simple and I respect his decision 100%, however ......
    it’s my birthday next Wednesday, he’s supposed to come out for lunch with me and my parents on the day and then come to my birthday party on Saturday. my parents would be extremely disappointed if he didn’t come and he’s supposed to be meeting the rest of my family ...

I would do absolutely anything to have him there but I don’t know if he’s going to come... I can’t force him obviously and I would never but, what do I do? I would be absolutely gutted if he didn’t come. However I can’t text him as he asked for space?
    Or can I text him? When and saying what? I’m so lost I need helppppppp
    Take a break3-4 weeks. No contact. You will live if he doesnt come. Its only a birthday. You can send him one message which should be factual. i.e will you be attending my Birthday meal or how long will the break be for in weeks?

The break seems way too short and he probably needs space. Breaks signify major faults so dont smother him or nag imo.

ReputationRep:
    Was this arranged before his desire to have a break? ( the birthday meal) maybe meeting your family is ehu he's asking for break? If he don't turn up, well it says it all. Let him go

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Was this arranged before his desire to have a break? ( the birthday meal) maybe meeting your family is ehu he's asking for break? If he don't turn up, well it says it all. Let him go

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah the birthday stuff was all planned before any of this kicked off. It’s a big birthday, hitting a milestone so I wanted it to be special! And yeah he’s met most of the family as we’ve been together a few years but there’s the odd one he hasn’t met and this was his chance !
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

My EX did the same trick, drop him right away, he is just playing you - trust me, I learnt the hard way.

ReputationRep:
    There’s no such thing as a ‘break’ he’s probably buying himself some time so she can find an excuse to break up.
    Going on a break is a pre break up he’s just trying to find a way to say up nicely

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.