The Student Room Group

I underperformed in my A levels; what do I do now?

Ok so, I was predicted AAB in my a levels, but unfortunately I really managed to mess it up in the exams and I ended up with BCC and an A in my EPQ. I'm really annoyed at myself because I worked so so hard to try to secure an A or even an A* in english, and in the mocks prior to the final exam I was working at an A* grade. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice about applying to a University course with these grades, as I'm feeling quite down about it all. Do you think a foundation course would be a good idea? I'm currently on my gap year btw
BCC is so good! Especially at A Levels. How were your GCSE grades? I didn’t apply to uni this year but of my friends who did, none of them met their entry requirements for their course but still got offers and places at the first choice unis! There is such a misconception with unis and they will almost always lower their entry requirements and accept people who have achieved lower. Honestly you’re in such a good position with those grades, got passed everything with really good grades so I really don’t think a foundation year is necessary especially as your on a gap year now as well! What are you thinking of studying ??
You could retake the examinations as an internal or external candidate, and reapply otherwise you would pretty much have no other option than to apply to Universities or courses at them with lower entry requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by sylviarose
BCC is so good! Especially at A Levels. How were your GCSE grades? I didn’t apply to uni this year but of my friends who did, none of them met their entry requirements for their course but still got offers and places at the first choice unis! There is such a misconception with unis and they will almost always lower their entry requirements and accept people who have achieved lower. Honestly you’re in such a good position with those grades, got passed everything with really good grades so I really don’t think a foundation year is necessary especially as your on a gap year now as well! What are you thinking of studying ??

Ahhh thank you so much for the response! I think my main issue is that I had my heart set on going somewhere akin to Uni of Reading or even Exeter, but the entry requirements are ABB. I'm hoping to study English Literature.
Reply 4
Original post by James1997c
You could retake the examinations as an internal or external candidate, and reapply otherwise you would pretty much have no other option than to apply to Universities or courses at them with lower entry requirements.

Yeah I'm retaking my English exam because I know that I can do better. Hopefully that will have some bearing on my application! Agh, kinda sucks :/ thank you for the reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending