Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - I'm in a dilemma because of student finance.

Its a long story so I'll skip the juicy bits and ask the main part. Basically out of the blue I have been demanded to pay 9k for the first year of my uni course literally today - just yesterday all my finances were perfect and fine. They have explained why - but that's not the issue, since I have suddenly just got this bomb shell I considered I would probably have to quit uni. I say that because I can't honestly just pull out 9k on the spot - however a friend of mine said your bank could lend you 9k as a loan. Now, what's the likelihood of this and is it possible? Will they understand my scenario and do lend 9k? That's a hefty sum of money and I guess the cloud of thought I'm in I cant imagine them lending that amount out for uni. I bank with Santander just so you know. Thanks in advance!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Whip)

Its a long story so I'll skip the juicy bits and ask the main part. Basically out of the blue I have been demanded to pay 9k for the first year of my uni course literally today - just yesterday all my finances were perfect and fine. They have explained why - but that's not the issue, since I have suddenly just got this bomb shell I considered I would probably have to quit uni. I say that because I can't honestly just pull out 9k on the spot - however a friend of mine said your bank could lend you 9k as a loan. Now, what's the likelihood of this and is it possible? Will they understand my scenario and do lend 9k? That's a hefty sum of money and I guess the cloud of thought I'm in I cant imagine them lending that amount out for uni. I bank with Santander just so you know. Thanks in advance!
    You mean you are in a dilemma because of student finance England? i.e your loan has been refused?

You might have skipped to the juicy bit but you have missed out all the relevant detail.

If SFE have refused and the uni want the money, then its HIGHLY unlikely Santander will be in the slightest bit interested in giving you £9,000.

Go and see a student advisor, it most likely you will have to leave your course and then agree to pay them any monies owed. You might want to see why your claim failed and see if you can rectify it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whip)

When you say "yesterday, all my finances were perfect and fine", what do you mean? Is SFE planning on paying; but just late or something else?

I can't see your bank willing to lend you that amount of money just like that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies firstly guys.

To be abit more specific - Firstly I had done a year of Computer Science. I had always wanted to study Law but never had the requirements to do So - but funnily enough after that first year of Computer Science I suddenly had enough points to study Law (I assume the requirements had changed). So, happily I began a 4 year course including placement year.

I literally checked my SFE account online 2 days ago and everything was fine regarding tuition fee loans and the maintenance grants and such. Out of the damn blue yesterday I received an email saying that my tuition fee loans had been blocked. Mind you, I just started my second year of Law at this point. I called them up and they said that SFE is only willing to pay for 4 years of studying - mine adds up to 5. If I want to carry on they want me to pay for my 1st year which went by and they want the 9k.

Hope that makes more sense. I've come to terms that uni is probably ending for me soon but I just wanted to see what you guys have to say. Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.