Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The better the rep of the Uni, the better the environment of uni/ better people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether this was a myth or not? Like, I don't know, it might seem obvious to some, but is there a clear difference in the type of people who go to a certain uni?

Like Im considering going to Bath Spa Uni because it has a good course, in my opinion, and offers a work placement year. But I also have the potential to do a foundation at sussex. Doing a foundation means an extra year, but if it's at a respected uni, is it worth it?

what i hated at secondary school was classes with people who didn't care and didn't try. im worried that by going to a uni with less rep, the people there will be less hard working and thus i will be subconsciously working less hard too from their influence.

Idk, this might seem ridiculous, but i was discussing it with my dad and he seems to think it's worth it going to a better uni because the people there are "better".

I don't think it is a myth, no.

However, you won't really be at a disadvantage purely for working less hard at a worse Uni, since the proportion of firsts/2:1s is similar across all Unis (varying more between different subjects within each Uni than between good and bad Unis*). If you go to a Uni with less work ethic, you will probably be at an advantage (easier to get a first) even if your work ethic suffers a little bit.

*e.g. Cambridge, percent of final-year students awarded a First or 2:1

http://bernardrivers.com/wp-content/...7809828133.png

(Might I add despite maths students being the hardest working :mad:)

ReputationRep:
      Some people swim faster when the fish around them swim fast. A desire to keep up, or maybe losing the fear of standing out for being smart.

Others are so self-confident (or competitive) that they won't let up even if it makes their classmates look slow.

My daughter has the first problem. Bright, if not off the charts, and could easily have coasted if we let her. At a public (state) elementary school she was one of the smart kids who always did pretty well. The teachers were most worried about getting the bottom quartile over the hump, so they didn't worry about her. We moved her to a very competitive private middle school, where she started seeing Bs and the occasional C for the first time in her life. After she got over her fear of being disowned, and learned that asking for help from teachers was OK, she built a fantastic work ethic and is on top of her game in a good undergraduate institution.

Either situation is possible-- decide what sounds most like you. Do you mind being tagged as the brightest kid in the class? Which is not to say that your Option A has that problem baked into it. A lot of "second-rate" places are filled with motivated, hard-working students trying to do better. Also, a lot of prestigious schools are filled with bored kids marking time. Do look hard at each place.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
      I was just wondering whether this was a myth or not? Like, I don't know, it might seem obvious to some, but is there a clear difference in the type of people who go to a certain uni?

Like Im considering going to Bath Spa Uni because it has a good course, in my opinion, and offers a work placement year. But I also have the potential to do a foundation at sussex. Doing a foundation means an extra year, but if it's at a respected uni, is it worth it?

what i hated at secondary school was classes with people who didn't care and didn't try. im worried that by going to a uni with less rep, the people there will be less hard working and thus i will be subconsciously working less hard too from their influence.

Idk, this might seem ridiculous, but i was discussing it with my dad and he seems to think it's worth it going to a better uni because the people there are "better".
      I’m glad you asked this question, I hope the higher the rep, the better the people. What unis are you thinking of applying to? :P
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Camilli)
      Some people swim faster when the fish around them swim fast. A desire to keep up, or maybe losing the fear of standing out for being smart.

Others are so self-confident (or competitive) that they won't let up even if it makes their classmates look slow.

My daughter has the first problem. Bright, if not off the charts, and could easily have coasted if we let her. At a public (state) elementary school she was one of the smart kids who always did pretty well. The teachers were most worried about getting the bottom quartile over the hump, so they didn't worry about her. We moved her to a very competitive private middle school, where she started seeing Bs and the occasional C for the first time in her life. After she got over her fear of being disowned, and learned that asking for help from teachers was OK, she built a fantastic work ethic and is on top of her game in a good undergraduate institution.

Either situation is possible-- decide what sounds most like you. Do you mind being tagged as the brightest kid in the class? Which is not to say that your Option A has that problem baked into it. A lot of "second-rate" places are filled with motivated, hard-working students trying to do better. Also, a lot of prestigious schools are filled with bored kids marking time. Do look hard at each place.
      thank you for this answer! you've given me a lot to think about.
      And good luck to your daughter in whatever she does, she sounds like a smart kid.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Goeke)
      I’m glad you asked this question, I hope the higher the rep, the better the people. What unis are you thinking of applying to? :P
      im thinking liverpool, sussex, aston, nottingham trent and bath spa right now.

how about you ?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      I don't think it is a myth, no.

However, you won't really be at a disadvantage purely for working less hard at a worse Uni, since the proportion of firsts/2:1s is similar across all Unis (varying more between different subjects within each Uni than between good and bad Unis*). If you go to a Uni with less work ethic, you will probably be at an advantage (easier to get a first) even if your work ethic suffers a little bit.

*e.g. Cambridge, percent of final-year students awarded a First or 2:1

http://bernardrivers.com/wp-content/...7809828133.png

(Might I add despite maths students being the hardest working :mad:)
      INTERESTING. I certainly hadn't thought of it like that.

thank you for your answer, that's actually helped a lot

Spoiler:
      Show

and pssst, not to boast but i think science students trump maths students when it comes to being the hardest working

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
      im thinking liverpool, sussex, aston, nottingham trent and bath spa right now.

how about you ?
      Nottingham, Leeds, Leicester and haven’t decided on the other two
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.