Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had my first shift at my new job today, but I already want to quit. The entire day was so chaotic, disorganised and just badly managed. I can't put into words how stressful it was being told to do something different every 5 minutes by the different members of management, to then be criticised when I stopped doing what the other told me. On top of that, the management spoke to me like **** - everything that I did was wrong and they were incredibly patronising even though I've worked in retail for 5 years and while it might be a new company I essentially know what i'm doing.

I just have a bad vibe about working here and I don't want to continue. I applied for many jobs and agreed to this one as it was the first place that offered me a job and I needed one desperately. However, today I got a call back and offered another job that pays better and I want to work there instead.

How would I go about quitting after just one day?

Well it's retail what do you expect
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just be up front with them, say you appreciate that you've been given an opportunity but on reflection a more suitable opening has arose/arisen (can't remember which one it is) and you'll be leaving with immediate effect.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a few more chances tbh you can't tell what a job is actually like after only one shift. It could have just been an exceptionally busy, stressful day, baring in mind it is half term as well so bound to be busier than an average weekday. That said, if you feel that strongly, just leave. I've been in enough minimum wage part time jobs to know they're simply not worth the hassle.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.