Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm one term into my chemistry A level and one of the first things we cover is the mole. I understand the basics like the mole is a unit (although this confuses me sometimes) and I understand that Molar mass=atomic mass=number of grams you need to have to get the avogadro's number of atoms. But then I started revising molecular and empirical formula. I understand what the both of these are but an example I read confused me. In the example it said the molecular formula of glucose is C6H12O6, and the empirical formula is CH2O which I understand. It then said "Glucose has 2 moles of hydrogen for every mole of carbon and oxygen". I get that there are two hydrogen atoms for every carbon and oxygen, I just don't, at all, understand why this means there are 2 moles of hydrogen? I would appreciate any help I can get in understanding this. Thank you!

Well remember that the mole is just a number..
    The empirical formula tells you the ratio of the atoms in a molecule. In the case of CH2O it’s two hydrogen’s to every one carbon and oxygen.
    This means that if there were 4 hydrogen’s you’d have 2 oxygens and carbons.
    6 hydrogen’s would mean 3 carbons and oxygens.
    12X10^23 Hydrogen’s would mean 6X10^23 carbons and oxygens. Therefore you can see that 2 moles of hydrogens will be bonded to one mole of carbon and oxygen. Hope this explains it well🙂

P.S one mole is 6X10^23 incase you didn’t know
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Moles can take an effort to get your head round but it will click.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.