Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Booked Appointment at Doctors Watch

What do I say? How do I bring up how I'm feeling? So nervous about this but I know I need to get whatever I'm feeling sorted out.

Basically I remember a terrible incident that happened years ago and now all I feel is guilt, anger, being ashamed and feeling stupid. I'm not sleeping, I can't really think straight and I'm becoming a lot more withdrawn and losing confidence in everything I do. I don't want to continue like this but have no idea what is actual,y wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If you've booked an appointment at the doctors, then you're half way there. When they let you into their consulting room, they will likely say something along the lines of "so what can I help you with?", at which point, you just say what you said here. Say that you've recently remembered something that happened years ago and the memory has made you feel guilty, angry, ashamed and stupid. Bring up that you aren't sleeping and can't think straight. Withdrawing and losing confidence are signs of depression. Personally, I would advise that you take a look at options for counselling as these feelings seemed to have only surfaced after you remembered this incident that occurred (assuming that you were not feeling this way prior to remembering?).

I respect you for having the confidence to book a doctors appointment, it took me a very long time before I even managed to do that!

Take care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do I say? How do I bring up how I'm feeling? So nervous about this but I know I need to get whatever I'm feeling sorted out.

Basically I remember a terrible incident that happened years ago and now all I feel is guilt, anger, being ashamed and feeling stupid. I'm not sleeping, I can't really think straight and I'm becoming a lot more withdrawn and losing confidence in everything I do. I don't want to continue like this but have no idea what is actual,y wrong.
    I'm sorry to hear you're struggling first of all.

Secondly, I would say write down everything. Make a list of your symptoms (e.g. sleeping problems, anger, etc.) and write down brief history (e.g. what the incident was, any other difficulties you've had, what you're currently doing like school or work, etc.). Then they may suggest medication, or suggest a referral to IAPT services (still in primary care), or to secondary services.

Also, just to reassure you, you don't have to go into detail about the incident if you don't want to. I was apprehensive about going into detail about my issues and history, I still am.

Sounds like it could be various things too. I have similar symptoms (plus some other stuff that you may or may not have but haven't listed) and I've been diagnosed with PTSD from complex trauma, depression and anxiety.

I hope your appointment goes well, and make sure you take care of yourself, especially straight after the appointment, as they can be extremely difficult. Especially if it's your first time talking about it to someone.

ReputationRep:
    when I have trouble talking to doctors i write things down before i go and then just let the doctor read it
    maybe that would help?

You should be proud of yourself for making the appointment :3
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    GPs see a lot of people with issues similar to this, the way I opened up to mine about my problems was as simple as my doctor asking me how I was..I could barely say ok in a convincing way ..so when asked 'are you ok though?' I just opened with 'not really' and the tone for the consultation was set..

Writing down how you feel is a great way to help you vocalise how you're feeling.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.