Turn on thread page Beta

Help ! Post graduate loan issue ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been assessed and accepted for a post grad load by Student Finance England but my university are saying I’m not entitled to it because I get a wage and going to uni is part of my new job role ... which is true I’m in a trainee role for the next two years ... but I’m not entitled to an NHS bursary but Uni are saying my place is commissioned and so it’s the equivalent of a bursary ... but I’ve checked with NHS bursaries and Wages are not a bursary and I’m not entitled to a bursary and I pay tax and national insurance on my wages ...I work three days and attend uni two days (MSc) that’s my trainee job role for the next two years ...I have no tuition fees as the course is over two years and paid for as part of my job ... but the student finance company say the loan can be used for tuition fees and /or living costs .... ? I need it for living costs my wage is the same as it was in my previous job but now I have to get to university and travel quite a distance two days a week plus buy books etc ...Can anyone shed any light on this matter please ...??? .
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by traceace)
    I’ve been assessed and accepted for a post grad load by Student Finance England but my university are saying I’m not entitled to it because I get a wage and going to uni is part of my new job role ... which is true I’m in a trainee role for the next two years ... but I’m not entitled to an NHS bursary but Uni are saying my place is commissioned and so it’s the equivalent of a bursary ... but I’ve checked with NHS bursaries and Wages are not a bursary and I’m not entitled to a bursary and I pay tax and national insurance on my wages ...I work three days and attend uni two days (MSc) that’s my trainee job role for the next two years ...I have no tuition fees as the course is over two years and paid for as part of my job ... but the student finance company say the loan can be used for tuition fees and /or living costs .... ? I need it for living costs my wage is the same as it was in my previous job but now I have to get to university and travel quite a distance two days a week plus buy books etc ...Can anyone shed any light on this matter please ...??? .
    Hi traceace,

I would suggest that you contact us so that we can check your course details are correct and we can confirm your eligibility for the loan. Students are not eligible for Postgraduate Loans where they are eligible to apply for a healthcare bursary or are in receipt of a social work bursary from any of the below.

• National Health Service (NHS)
    • Department of Health (DoH)
    • Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)

Please call us on 0300 100 0031

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise

I have already contacted you guys but don’t seem to be getting any answers as to this issue I have already been assessed and my pay schedule set up , I am definitely not entitled to an NHS bursary I am a first line nurse moving into another field of nursing . I know I’m getting a wage but so are the rest of the people on this course ...it is listed as an available course and yes the tuition fees are paid but some people have CPD funding ...the criteria from SFE says post grad loan is not means tested ... that it can be used for tuition fees or living costs ... the criteria asked if you are entitled to an NHS bursary which I am not ... I pay tax and national insurance on my wages ... who can I talk to at SFE please ? I’ve rang this number and given my log in number in ...my university won’t confirm my attendance to SFE ... they keep saying it’s like the social work course but it’s nothing like it ... I really don’t understand it as it’s a loan and I’m repaying it ...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Louise

I have already contacted you guys but don’t seem to be getting any answers as to this issue I have already been assessed and my pay schedule set up , I am definitely not entitled to an NHS bursary I am a first line nurse moving into another field of nursing . I know I’m getting a wage but so are the rest of the people on this course ...it is listed as an available course and yes the tuition fees are paid but some people have CPD funding ...the criteria from SFE says post grad loan is not means tested ... that it can be used for tuition fees or living costs ... the criteria asked if you are entitled to an NHS bursary which I am not ... I pay tax and national insurance on my wages ... who can I talk to at SFE please ? I’ve rang this number and given my log in number in ...my university won’t confirm my attendance to SFE ... they keep saying it’s like the social work course but it’s nothing like it ... I really don’t understand it as it’s a loan and I’m repaying it ...
    Hi traceace,

Sorry for all the questions , but we are unable to access accounts on The Student Room, can you confirm the correct details of your course your are studying and the name of your university that your are attending?

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    hi Louise

I’m at Chester University , the course is ADPR (advanced practice ) MSc part time over two years . They are saying my wage is the equivalent of a bursary but it’s not a bursary it’s not public funding it’s a wage I pay tax and national insurance . I am a trainee ANP for two years . I get two days study days , then the other three days I’m in work in my job role . There are other people in my course in the same position some aren’t getting the course paid so they’ve used some of their loan to pay for the tuition fees , but they are working getting a wage just not getting course paid , then there are others on this course rxactly the same as me and they have already had their loan but the uni are saying they shouldn’t have got it and they will be contacting SFE to get it taken back ...?

I have looked on the SFE site and Martin Lewis site regarding post grad loans and they are all state it is not means rested ... it’s all about whether you are getting public funding as in NHS bursary ... I have contacted Nhs bursary to confirm and I am definitely not entitled to a bursary ...
    I answered all the questions on the application form correctly ...
    It does not ask if i get a wage or if tuition fees are already paid ...

Thanks
    Tracy
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    hi Louise

I’m at Chester University , the course is ADPR (advanced practice ) MSc part time over two years . They are saying my wage is the equivalent of a bursary but it’s not a bursary it’s not public funding it’s a wage I pay tax and national insurance . I am a trainee ANP for two years . I get two days study days , then the other three days I’m in work in my job role . There are other people in my course in the same position some aren’t getting the course paid so they’ve used some of their loan to pay for the tuition fees , but they are working getting a wage just not getting course paid , then there are others on this course rxactly the same as me and they have already had their loan but the uni are saying they shouldn’t have got it and they will be contacting SFE to get it taken back ...?

I have looked on the SFE site and Martin Lewis site regarding post grad loans and they are all state it is not means rested ... it’s all about whether you are getting public funding as in NHS bursary ... I have contacted Nhs bursary to confirm and I am definitely not entitled to a bursary ...
    I answered all the questions on the application form correctly ...
    It does not ask if i get a wage or if tuition fees are already paid ...

Thanks
    Tracy
    Hi Tracy,

Can you advise if your course is ADPR(clinical practice) or ADPR (Mental Health) and if you say it is part time is it 1 year or 2 years Postgraduate ?

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise

It’s adpr (clinical ) and it’s 2 years .

Trace
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Louise

It’s adpr (clinical ) and it’s 2 years .

Trace
    Hi Tracy,

Based on the information you have confirmed it is listed as an eligible course , but I would suggest to get your University to call the HEP helpline number to discuss this further if they are advising you are not eligible.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise

Yes I already know it is listed as an eligible course . Chester University have said they have done this already ... I’m going around in circles is there any one I can talk to at SFE who can look into this further so that I am 100% sure and accurate with my information that my trainee job role and wages is not the equivalent of a bursary . I don’t understand how Chester University can decide you aren’t eligible or affect the decision already made by SFE when it’s not their decision or their criteria ?

Trace
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Louise

Yes I already know it is listed as an eligible course . Chester University have said they have done this already ... I’m going around in circles is there any one I can talk to at SFE who can look into this further so that I am 100% sure and accurate with my information that my trainee job role and wages is not the equivalent of a bursary . I don’t understand how Chester University can decide you aren’t eligible or affect the decision already made by SFE when it’s not their decision or their criteria ?

Trace
    Hi Tracy,

I can only advise that you discuss this matter further with your University, as Student Finance have already assessed and approved your application for funding.

Thanks

Louise

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.