Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

So me and my friends we insult each other. This usually involves making fun of each others family. The jokes tend to be focused on what their family members say or do for work. I usually tend to stay quiet and not make any jokes about their families because whatever I say they will retaliate with racism and I can't really say anything racist about them since they're all white. They know nothing about my family apart from the fact that we're indian so they tend to make mean, racist jokes about me being brown. The jokes usually involve Indian stereotypes or terrorist jokes and more. It hurts when they say these things and since I can't say anything back to them I feel defenceless and I feel like they take advantage of me not being able to fight back. I would talk to them but they would be dismissive about it. I tried talking to them before about it and they stopped for about a week but they then resumed with the racism, thinking that it was unfair that I can say anything to them but they can't say anything to me. I see what they mean but I just hate the racism. I can't really make new friends because I struggle making friends. What should I do?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Be part of the joke,laugh it off and joke with them

ReputationRep:
    It's just
    A bit
    OF BANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Either tell them how you feel, if that's all. You're Indian, i's cool, laugh about it.
    Or laugh about it, of course you can make fun of Whitey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skits267)
    Hello

So me and my friends we insult each other. This usually involves making fun of each others family. The jokes tend to be focused on what their family members say or do for work. I usually tend to stay quiet and not make any jokes about their families because whatever I say they will retaliate with racism and I can't really say anything racist about them since they're all white. They know nothing about my family apart from the fact that we're indian so they tend to make mean, racist jokes about me being brown. The jokes usually involve Indian stereotypes or terrorist jokes and more. It hurts when they say these things and since I can't say anything back to them I feel defenceless and I feel like they take advantage of me not being able to fight back. I would talk to them but they would be dismissive about it. I tried talking to them before about it and they stopped for about a week but they then resumed with the racism, thinking that it was unfair that I can say anything to them but they can't say anything to me. I see what they mean but I just hate the racism. I can't really make new friends because I struggle making friends. What should I do?

Thanks
    Just make fun of them as well so they know how it feels. One of my friends did that once and I told her straight away that it's not funny and I don't tolerate that. She was okay with it and never mentioned it again.

ReputationRep:
    Don't just go along with it - that's the worse thing you can do if it making you unhappy.

Show them you don't like it. When they do it, THAT is the time to say something such as "please stop it might be funny to you but I don't like it".

If they carry on, take some time away from them and show them that it hurts you.

Don't suffer in silence.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Thanks

I had "friends" like that in school

After year 11 I decided I wasn't going to bother to contact them. Haven't spoke to them since.........

Hello

Thanks
    Just toughen up or find new friends only way you're gonna resolve this. I'm Indian I get those jokes made at me by my friends all the time but I retaliate. I make racist jokes back. I'm the only indian guy in the friend group the majority are black and white.
    I can share some of the insults but I don't want to be banned so I'm not gonna post them but trust me white people have things you can say.

ReputationRep:
    LOL you're missing out on a bunch of white insults you could use against them mate...

I had friends similar to this once. They weren't racist, but they would make jokes about me all the time. ALL THE TIME. I laughed it off for years, without being totally comfortable about it deep down. 5 years later I just said, sod this, and broke off all contact with them. Wish I did it 5 years earlier tbh.

Tell them you're not having it, and if they continue, stop hanging out with them. Even being on your own is better than being in such a toxic environment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.