Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did really well in school and was predicted A/A* in almost everything until around Year 10 when there was a trauma in my life, so I missed almost a year of school and then completed Year 11 in hospital tuition. I only took 5 GCSEs and left with a B in English, C in Maths, B in PWL, and a D in Photography and Science. Needless to say I was gutted but I feel like considering everything I missed, this was the best I could do at the time. I had applied for A Levels but of course they rejected me after my results so I went to a different college and they put me on a 3 year BTEC Level 3 Business course. If I complete this at my predicted grades (D*D*D*), I'll have an extended diploma and around 130/140 UCAS points. I want to study Law and although the university I've chosen will accept a BTEC, they also require 5 GCSEs at A/A* in order to accept anything other than A Levels. I spoke to my careers advisor and she recommended that if I am absolutely sure I want to do this specific course, my best choice is to take A Levels once I complete my diploma because it would not be possible to resit 5 GCSEs this year. I agree with her and I'm willing to pay for the courses myself, whatever I choose, because I believe it'll be worthwhile, but my family and friends are not supportive about the idea. What does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meganhxnnah)
    I did really well in school and was predicted A/A* in almost everything until around Year 10 when there was a trauma in my life, so I missed almost a year of school and then completed Year 11 in hospital tuition. I only took 5 GCSEs and left with a B in English, C in Maths, B in PWL, and a D in Photography and Science. Needless to say I was gutted but I feel like considering everything I missed, this was the best I could do at the time. I had applied for A Levels but of course they rejected me after my results so I went to a different college and they put me on a 3 year BTEC Level 3 Business course. If I complete this at my predicted grades (D*D*D*), I'll have an extended diploma and around 130/140 UCAS points. I want to study Law and although the university I've chosen will accept a BTEC, they also require 5 GCSEs at A/A* in order to accept anything other than A Levels. I spoke to my careers advisor and she recommended that if I am absolutely sure I want to do this specific course, my best choice is to take A Levels once I complete my diploma because it would not be possible to resit 5 GCSEs this year. I agree with her and I'm willing to pay for the courses myself, whatever I choose, because I believe it'll be worthwhile, but my family and friends are not supportive about the idea. What does everyone think?
    Is whatever issue you faced one that will impact you during your A-Level studies? If so - It's one to take into consideration. A-Levels are hard, I'm in Year 13 and I self study due to a medical condition so feel free to pm me if there's anything I can help with, A-Levels in general or anything specific.

I think, this choice needs to come from you. And if you're sure the Law is what you want to do, it's very worth taking your A-Levels in order to enable this. A couple of years extra now to get you where you want to be, is worth it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought studying 3 A-levels in a year would be more difficult that studying 5 GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I would have thought studying 3 A-levels in a year would be more difficult that studying 5 GCSEs.
    I would not be studying 3 A Levels in one year. I would be completing them over 2 years after my diploma. If I take GCSEs, I would need to take them now during my diploma to sit the exams in a few months.

ReputationRep:
    What uni asks for 5 GCSEs at A*/A, never seen that before

If you're on track for D*D*D* there will be loads of good unis you can get into without wasting another 2 years doing A levels

Also for D*D*D* you would have 168 UCAS points not 130/140
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would not be studying 3 A Levels in one year. I would be completing them over 2 years after my diploma. If I take GCSEs, I would need to take them now during my diploma to sit the exams in a few months.
    OK - I see. It just seems like the quicker option would be to take the GCSEs in one year after your diploma rather than having to commit to 2 for your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester - LLB Law - DDD with GCSEs A*-C

Royal Holloway, University of London - LLB Law - D*D*D* Business with 5 GCSEs A*-C

York - LLB Law - DDD BTEC C in English GCSE

Bristol - LLB Law - D*DD No GCSE requirements

Liverpool - LLB Law - DDD Maths and English grad C GCSE

Sussex - LLB Law - DDD no GCSE requirements specified

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.