Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a student holding a dual citizenship to both Canada and Slovenia. I have lived my entire life in Canada (I have family in both countries) but wish to apply to universities in Europe. I don't quite understand what 'ordinary resident' is, and how that affects me.

So, given my situation, would I be eligible for EU/UK fees or would I be paying the International Student tuition fees?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by e.andrew)
    I am a student holding a dual citizenship to both Canada and Slovenia. I have lived my entire life in Canada (I have family in both countries) but wish to apply to universities in Europe. I don't quite understand what 'ordinarily resident' is, and how that affects me.

So, given my situation, would I be eligible for EU/UK fees or would I be paying the International Student tuition fees?
    International Student fees most likely as you are not a resident of a European country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    International Student fees most likely as you are not a resident of a European country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Universities I have looked at outside of UK do not require one to be an 'ordinary resident' - citizenship is enough. So does this only apply to schools in the UK?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Universities I have looked at outside of UK do not require one to be an 'ordinary resident' - citizenship is enough. So does this only apply to schools in the UK?
    In most if not all cases, UK universities care about residency. For other countries in Europe, I believe residency may apply as well. Canada doesn't care about residency (correct me if I'm wrong) I think but it's an exception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I am a student holding a dual citizenship to both Canada and Slovenia. I have lived my entire life in Canada (I have family in both countries) but wish to apply to universities in Europe. I don't quite understand what 'ordinary resident' is, and how that affects me.

Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum where it's more suited.

I have very little knowledge about your query but you're in capable hand with wolfmoon88

MR

ReputationRep:
    International. My children are British and I still pay overseas fees, as we have been in California for 10 years.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I am a student holding a dual citizenship to both Canada and Slovenia. I have lived my entire life in Canada (I have family in both countries) but wish to apply to universities in Europe. I don't quite understand what 'ordinarily resident' is, and how that affects me.So, given my situation, would I be eligible for EU/UK fees or would I be paying the International Student tuition fees?Thank you!
    If you have lived your entire life in Canada then you have not been resident in the EU.

You would need to move to the EU for 3 years prior to the start of your course to be eligible for home fees.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.