Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I choose, Economics or International Relations? (Long post) Watch

ReputationRep:
    TLDR in the bottom.

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the best place for me to create this post, so I apologize if this is the wrong place :)

A bit of background before my question. I'm aiming to study abroad, and I've found a single university that I can afford, thus, my "only" option. I do not want to study in my country due to private reasons. I'm relatively good at math but I'm better at human sciences and languages(around 75% in math compared to 85% in HS/Languages).

Basically I'm struggling with which profession I should choose (so unusual) and since this decision will affect the rest of my life I'm trying to see all points of view before choosing something. So it would be amazing if people from both areas talked about their experiences and what they do in their jobs.

The subject of economics is really interesting for me, but an acquaintance of mine that studies it (I think he's on his second year) said that a great portion of his time is raw math (like formulas) and that he regrets choosing economics, because like me, he is also really interested in the theory and all but doesn't really find the math part appealing. Neither of us have a problem doing math, it's just that we'd like to be doing something else. That's when I've started searching things related to economics and found International Business and International Relations, they really look appealing from what I've searched but I'm not sure if they can grant me a good job in the future.

Since I don't have many options (due to having only one Uni to choose from), I've narrowed down my options to Economics and International Relations. (I was also thinking about international business but it's not available). Both have its advantages and disadvantages, ECO have twice the places compared to IR, but IR requires my Languages grade and ECO requires math.

I take into consideration more the chance of having a good job and a stable life than having more "interesting" subjects in the University, I can tolerate math daily as long as it's not the focus. I don't really know how both are in the job market but I've read that economics is in a good place so it would be nice if someone could talk about it.

Lastly, thanks for reading and I'm sorry for any errors in the text, it's 4am and I can't sleep because this is consuming my mind.

TLDR

1) How much of economics is "raw" math?

2) ‎Should I do economics even tho I don't find math interesting? (I don't think it's hard, just uninteresting)

3) ‎If you're in the job field related to Economics or IR, please tell the things you do in your job and your experiences.

4) ‎How related to economics is international relations?

5) ‎How is the job market (in Europe preferably) for both economics and IR? How can I find the data?

6) ‎Which one have more jobs available and how stable it is?

ReputationRep:
    No one?.... Really ?

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry i'm doing my GCSEs and i'm trying to decide what i want to do for my A-levels; i'm sorry no one has replied and that i can't help you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1)This's going based off of my AP Macroeconomics course but:
    Economics in and of itself wasn't incredibly math based, and the bits that were consisted largely of algebra. Moreover, it's when you get into stats and econometrics that maths make a hit from my understanding.

2) Most of it as far as I know won't consist of maths, but it's an important aspect. It's up to you if you want to put up with the mathematical side

5) Economics is one of the most versatile degrees, you should be able to get a job anywhere

6) my guess would be economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorsails)
    i'm sorry i'm doing my GCSEs and i'm trying to decide what i want to do for my A-levels; i'm sorry no one has replied and that i can't help you
    Don't worry c: I just want more opinions about the subject.

(Original post by flatline)
    1)This's going based off of my AP Macroeconomics course but:
    Economics in and of itself wasn't incredibly math based, and the bits that were consisted largely of algebra. Moreover, it's when you get into stats and econometrics that maths make a hit from my understanding.

2) Most of it as far as I know won't consist of maths, but it's an important aspect. It's up to you if you want to put up with the mathematical side

5) Economics is one of the most versatile degrees, you should be able to get a job anywhere

6) my guess would be economics
    Thanks for sharing your point of view, I'm leaning a lot more towards economics thanks to you.

ReputationRep:
    There's also BA Economics which is less focused on maths than BSC Economics. Also with Economics you can actually get a decent job after you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    There's also BA Economics which is less focused on maths than BSC Economics. Also with Economics you can actually get a decent job after you graduate.
    What do you mean by "decent job" ?

The website of the university doesn't designate which one it is but I'm sure its BSC, it's better than BA no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haett)
    What do you mean by "decent job" ?

The website of the university doesn't designate which one it is but I'm sure its BSC, it's better than BA no?
    Bad wording, with an economics degree it's a lot easier to get a good job as it has more transferable skills than international relations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.