Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, been thinking on applying for either Law or Politics, which one is better for student satisfaction and employability rate : City or Essex?

ReputationRep:
    Have you been to the open days? I personally just choice my choices based on how I felt about the universities. Obviously their rankings are important but if they're both good unis just pick which ever one you could most likely see yourself at 😌 If not go on UNISTATS and look at graduate prospects, student satisfaction etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_anniex99)
    Have you been to the open days? I personally just choice my choices based on how I felt about the universities. Obviously their rankings are important but if they're both good unis just pick which ever one you could most likely see yourself at 😌 If not go on UNISTATS and look at graduate prospects, student satisfaction etc.
    Heyy, thanks for the quick answer! Will do check on their rankings tho, but personally.... which one would you choose?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    City has been an up and comer for a while now, although this is mainly off the back of their business school. Essex has been steadily improving but hasn't made much of a name for itself despite that, at least not yet.

Living in London presents a whole separate set of considerations to living anywhere else however, so you may want to reflect on those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    City has been an up and comer for a while now, although this is mainly off the back of their business school. Essex has been steadily improving but hasn't made much of a name for itself despite that, at least not yet.

Living in London presents a whole separate set of considerations to living anywhere else however, so you may want to reflect on those.
    Hmm ok, will definitely consider that as well. But then, are both unis good for their employability rate?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mprani99)
    Hmm ok, will definitely consider that as well. But then, are both unis good for their employability rate?
    No idea, check UNISTATS.

ReputationRep:
    Essex actually has an ok reputation for politics now - it’s 27th while City is 35th in the UK politics rankings.

However, they’re both pretty bad for law - 37th and 38th.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, thanks for the quick answer! Will do check on their rankings tho, but personally.... which one would you choose?
    I'm not really familiar with either universities but from a quick look a think I like Essex best but it depends on what course you want to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, been thinking on applying for either Law or Politics, which one is better for student satisfaction and employability rate : City or Essex?
    Since you're asking two very easily quantifiable questions, I'm sure that you can also go find the answer to them online. Check any of the domestic league tables.

I wouldn't imagine that either of the two has any particular advantage in terms of reputation. Honestly, a good way to gauge "reputation" is to go find a list of top law firms and chambers (this list here could help: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms), and see what sort of universities they sponsor campus ambassador positions at, or visit for presentations/career fairs. City and Essex aren't visited by almost any of the big law firms, but then again that's understandable given that a lot of their students won't meet the minimum A-level requirements.

I have noticed that City tends to piggyback off the events employers organised for LSE/UCL/KCL, in the sense that its students are welcome there anyway even if the event was not explicitly targeted for them. Accenture did an "LSE+UCL" event that also allowed City and SOAS students to sign up. The same happened at two social mobility/women in the profession events that were recently advertised at LSE. That may gain you access to events in which an Essex graduate can't or isn't willing to go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.