Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is anon because I feel like people instantly judge you and think you’re gross the moment they hear the words “gum disease”.

Anyway, I have always been really good with my oral hygiene. For years, I have flossed once a day with those tepe interdental brushes, brushes twice a day with an electric toothbrush, used mouthwash twice a day, and visited the hygienist for routine cleanings every 6 months.

A month ago, at my last hygienist visit, she told me that I have gingivitis (first stage of gum disease). I had noticed some bleeding when flossing, but hadn’t thought anything of it. She told me that I should switch from the te pe brushes (which weren’t fitting all the way in between many of my teeth) to these plastic te pe picks.

So I did that. I also switched from flossing once a day to twice a day. At first, my gums bled quite a lot. The hygienist told me they would stop bleeding within 2 weeks... But, fast forward to a month late, and they are still bleeding (though not so badly).

I am at uni, so can’t go back to the same hygienist. I went to the dentist nearest me a week ago and he told me to use this corsodyl mouthwash. So far, it’s made no difference, despite tasting gross.

This is all so frightening because I know that gingivitis can turn into periodontal disease which wears away your jaw bone and makes all your teeth fall out. I don’t know what more I can do. I don’t even have any plaque or tartar visible on my teeth

I am only 19.

Anyone else experience something like this?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is anon because I feel like people instantly judge you and think you’re gross the moment they hear the words “gum disease”.

Anyway, I have always been really good with my oral hygiene. For years, I have flossed once a day with those tepe interdental brushes, brushes twice a day with an electric toothbrush, used mouthwash twice a day, and visited the hygienist for routine cleanings every 6 months.

A month ago, at my last hygienist visit, she told me that I have gingivitis (first stage of gum disease). I had noticed some bleeding when flossing, but hadn’t thought anything of it. She told me that I should switch from the te pe brushes (which weren’t fitting all the way in between many of my teeth) to these plastic te pe picks.

So I did that. I also switched from flossing once a day to twice a day. At first, my gums bled quite a lot. The hygienist told me they would stop bleeding within 2 weeks... But, fast forward to a month late, and they are still bleeding (though not so badly).

I am at uni, so can’t go back to the same hygienist. I went to the dentist nearest me a week ago and he told me to use this corsodyl mouthwash. So far, it’s made no difference, despite tasting gross.

This is all so frightening because I know that gingivitis can turn into periodontal disease which wears away your jaw bone and makes all your teeth fall out. I don’t know what more I can do. I don’t even have any plaque or tartar visible on my teeth

I am only 19.

Call whatever dentist you are registered at here or is closest and tell them your gums are bleeding. You should get a quick appt. The dentist can assess what level of bleeding you have and what treatment would be best.
    Gingivitis is a gum infection- like tonsillitis or an ear infection but with your gums. Treatment is usually salt water, antibacterial mouthwash or antibiotics.
    Don't worry about anything permanent or serious at the moment. Gingivitis is pretty common and usually not a big issue. You should be totally fine after some treatment.
    Call the dentist now though cos leaving it for too long isn't going to be good. Be sure to mention the bleeding so they will give you a appropriate wait. If you can't get an appt for a while start swishing around some salt water once or twice a day until you can see them. Salt helps with things like this.

Good luck

(Original post by Kindred)
    Call whatever dentist you are registered at here or is closest and tell them your gums are bleeding. You should get a quick appt. The dentist can assess what level of bleeding you have and what treatment would be best.
    Gingivitis is a gum infection- like tonsillitis or an ear infection but with your gums. Treatment is usually salt water, antibacterial mouthwash or antibiotics.
    Don't worry about anything permanent or serious at the moment. Gingivitis is pretty common and usually not a big issue. You should be totally fine after some treatment.
    Call the dentist now though cos leaving it for too long isn't going to be good. Be sure to mention the bleeding so they will give you a appropriate wait. If you can't get an appt for a while start swishing around some salt water once or twice a day until you can see them. Salt helps with things like this.

Good luck
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

As I said, I have been to the dentist I am registered with here a week ago (about the bleeding gums) and he told me to use corsodyl mouthwash. I have another appointment with him next week, to check up on whether it has worked.

But, at the moment it doesn't seem to have helped at all after a week of use.

I am doing everything I can, so I honestly don't know why this is happening.

My brother barely ever lifts a brush to his teeth, let alone flossing, and he has no problems whatsoever (and I know plenty of others like him)! I've always been the one who looks after my teeth and gums, so it seems really unfair.

ReputationRep:
    If your brother doesn't even brush his teeth, then he will have problems in the future. Gum disease is very common and most people will have issues with it at some point. Go back to your dentist and stop stressing about it!

(Original post by YaliaV)
    If your brother doesn't even brush his teeth, then he will have problems in the future. Gum disease is very common and most people will have issues with it at some point. Go back to your dentist and stop stressing about it!
    As I said, I went back to my dentist a week ago and I am going back next week.

I was just hoping that people might be able to provide some advice I hadn't thought of, or alternatively their own first hand experience.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I went back to my dentist a week ago and I am going back next week.

I was just hoping that people might be able to provide some advice I hadn't thought of, or alternatively their own first hand experience.
    I'm not an expert. Is your diet high in sugar? You could try massaging your gums as well.

(Original post by YaliaV)
    I'm not an expert. Is your diet high in sugar? You could try massaging your gums as well.
    No, it isn't. I eat very healthily as I used to have very severe anorexia and never got over my fear of eating sugary/unhealthy foods.

I always make sure to brush my gums and gum line with my electric toothbrush, does that count as massaging them?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, perhaps your brushing technique may be prolonging the gingivitis. How do you brush your teeth? Do you just make the straight sweeping motion across your teeth? The best brushing technique is using the circular motion systematically across each tooth and angling your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle so that the brushes can get between the teeth and gums and disturb the bacterial complexes that form on the tooth surface.

(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    Hi, perhaps your brushing technique may be prolonging the gingivitis. How do you brush your teeth? Do you just make the straight sweeping motion across your teeth? The best brushing technique is using the circular motion systematically across each tooth and angling your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle so that the brushes can get between the teeth and gums and disturb the bacterial complexes that form on the tooth surface.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can change about my brushing as I already angle the brush down in this way and use circular moions (have been doing so for years since my hygienist showed me how). I also brush the gum line specifically and the gums.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

As I said, I have been to the dentist I am registered with here a week ago (about the bleeding gums) and he told me to use corsodyl mouthwash. I have another appointment with him next week, to check up on whether it has worked.

But, at the moment it doesn't seem to have helped at all after a week of use.

I am doing everything I can, so I honestly don't know why this is happening.

My brother barely ever lifts a brush to his teeth, let alone flossing, and he has no problems whatsoever (and I know plenty of others like him)! I've always been the one who looks after my teeth and gums, so it seems really unfair.
    Sorry, I missed that bit. You're doing the right thing. Go back to that dentist when arranged and say things haven't improved. They'll step up their game.
    I know bleeding gums are a sign of serious gum disease and you are worried, but it can also just be gingivitis which can be treated and once it is you'll be absolutely fine.
    It's a bit of a serious case of gingivitis given how long it's been going on for, but your dentist doesn't seem at all concerned which is a good sign that there's nothing big going on.

Some infections can last longer than others and be quite scary and disruptive. but you'll still be fine after. This should be one of those so just keep doing what the dentist says and try not to worry.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I had a bad ear infection at one point that turned into a perforated ear drum and me being half deaf. I was freaking terrified about permanent hearing damage etc, but things healed up and now it's like it never happened. Obviously that's a different area and all, but it shows that what seems like a really big deal at one time can be like it never existed in even a couple of weeks.

I hope that helps a little. I wish I could tell you some magic solution, but unfortunately it is just a matter of doing what the dentist says and having faith that they will sort it out.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I got diagnosed with gingivitis a couple months back and felt really upset too. I think it was partly caused by the dry mouth I had for years from psych meds. :sigh: Like you, I look after my teeth well and my wife doesn't but her teeth are in way better condition than mine.

For me, the hygienist did 2 major hour long procedures (not entirely sure what she was doing) and gave me a prescription mouthwash to use for 2 weeks. After the second one she gave me a prescription toothpaste to use occasionally, I use it like twice a week. Can't remember the key ingredient of each but I can look it up if you're interested? Anyway, my gums have stopped bleeding now and look a lot better. I have to go back in 6 months to see how things are going but things seem improved. Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if the anorexia may have contributed. :console:

I am only 19.

I have always tried to take care of my teeth - I use interdental brushes, floss, mouthwash and an electric toothbrush to brush twice a day. However, I always suffer from gum problems too. I went to the hygienist and they said I had some gum pockets which was a concern, so I had to brush carefully and more thoroughly in these areas. My gums were sore, but I used salt water to rinse which eased this. In addition, I have tried to change my diet to eat more healthily and cut out sugar.

I am worried about my teeth too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.