Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKCAT test favors males Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There is quite a lot of research that suggests that males perform better in the UKCAT test than females. Results appear to be statistically significant. There is no evidence that males perform better as doctors than females so it is interesting that a selection process should be used that gives males an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    **** you and your vagina

ReputationRep:
    And yet, the GMC's 2016 data shows that 55 % of medical students are female.

Which just goes to show that, even though the test favours men, women must be better at the test than men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cas22)
    There is quite a lot of research that suggests that males perform better in the UKCAT test than females. Results appear to be statistically significant. There is no evidence that males perform better as doctors than females so it is interesting that a selection process should be used that gives males an advantage.
    could you share some of this research? Sounds interesting to read about, I've never heard of this before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    And yet, the GMC's 2016 data shows that 55 % of medical students are female.

Which just goes to show that, even though the test favours men, women must be better at the test than men.
    **** your vagina especially

ReputationRep:
    If your going to make a point at least link your source. This post is worthless otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    If your going to make a point at least link your source. This post is worthless otherwise.
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/SOMEP_2016_Ful...f_68139324.pdf

Page 17.

Not exactly difficult to find, so I didn't think I'd need a link.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/SOMEP_2016_Ful...f_68139324.pdf

Page 17.

Not exactly difficult to find, so I didn't think I'd need a link.
    I was referring to the title. About UKCAT favouring males. Not the percentage of females being doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    I was referring to the title. About UKCAT favouring males. Not the percentage of females being doctors.
    I googled it and this came up: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5016890

Does that count as evidence?

ReputationRep:
    Correlation does not equal causation...

ReputationRep:
    I googled it and this came up: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5016890

Does that count as evidence?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Feminist techniques

When they Succeed at something = Claim that women are the best because of it

When they fail at something = Claim that it favors white people and men

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested in the evidence that males do better in the UKCAT there is plenty of research that proves just that. As mentioned the results are statistically significant and can easily be found. Just a couple of examples but it appears that those who make the test and use the test are well aware of it's inherent bias towards male candidates.

From the BMJ -
    This finding was, the researchers said, “reflecting in part the fact that males do less well at medical school but somewhat better overall at UKCAT.” McManus said that the subtests within the UKCAT were a “bit skewed” towards tests in which men traditionally performed well

From a paper by Paul Tiffen et al investigating the impact of the use of the UKCAT in medical admissions -

Our results suggest that if consortium medical schools currently using a "borderline" or "factor" approach to the UKCAT scores switched to using a "threshold for interview or offer there would be a modest increases (roughly 5-7%) in the proportion of males admitted to standard entry medical courses

https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1115/m...l-06032014.pdf

It's interesting that this bias is accepted. It's known that males do less well at medical school compared to females but a test has been devised that as the BMJ admits is a "bit skewed" towards males. It would be easy to address this bias either by making the test itself less skewed towards males or medical schools making allowances for the male bias in their admission process. But this hasn't been done.

It also appears that more medical schools are moving towards using a UKCAT cut off. Either to select for interview or to select which candidates have their applications considered further. The Tiffen paper speculates that this will result in 5-7% more males admitted to A100 courses. IMO that is a significant rather than a modest increase.

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed that I didn't post link to the BMJ article

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advic...medical_school

ReputationRep:
    From experience of having done the UKCAT and having lots of friends who have I have to say most of the females did better than the males.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.