Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-practicing CofE Christian Wiccan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I was chatting to someone yesterday and the conversation turned to faith, and she told me she was a 'non-practicing CofE Christian Wiccan' and it stumped me a little bit.

I absolutely don't want to judge but it confused me how you could be both Christian and Pagan - isn't that a slight conflict of interest?

She wears a cross around her neck, sends her children to the kids groups at my church but when I invited her to come on a Sunday she adamantly did not want to.

Can anyone give me an insight into this faith? I'm just a bit confused.

ReputationRep:
    traditionally Christians have been taught that witchcraft is an abomination from the Father of Lies ?

nowadays it seems that this anathema has been relaxed somewhat & Wicca is regarded as another faith like any other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    sends her children to the kids groups at my church but when I invited her to come on a Sunday she adamantly did not want to.
    She sends her kids to church but she doesn't go? How do the kids get there? Does she drop them off then go home? Does a friend take them?

ReputationRep:
    attitudes vary in different parts of the country:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...itchcraft.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    She sends her kids to church but she doesn't go? How do the kids get there? Does she drop them off then go home? Does a friend take them?
    The kids clubs run through the week so she just drops them off, they're not during the Sunday service so she doesn't have to come in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    attitudes vary in different parts of the country:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...itchcraft.html
    That article makes it pretty clear that the church is against 'witchcraft,' I know that view doesn't encompass the whole CofE, but therefore how can someone both be Christian and Wiccan? I feel like I'm missing something because it doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    That article makes it pretty clear that the church is against 'witchcraft,' I know that view doesn't encompass the whole CofE, but therefore how can someone both be Christian and Wiccan? I feel like I'm missing something because it doesn't make sense.
    the mainstream Anglican Church in this country is very embarrassed by the idea of a Wrathful God who punishes malefactors and the minions of Satan with eternal damnation. they prefer Him to be a cuddly fun Uncle who hands out sweeties to both good children & naughty scamps :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the mainstream Anglican Church in this country is very embarrassed by the idea of a Wrathful God who punishes malefactors and the minions of Satan with eternal damnation. they prefer Him to be a cuddly fun Uncle who hands out sweeties to both good children & naughty scamps :rolleyes:
    I'm not entirely sure how this links to what I'm saying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I'm not entirely sure how this links to what I'm saying...
    well the Bible says one thing & the Clergy say another... no wonder people are confused.

ReputationRep:
    well the Bible says one thing & the Clergy say another... no wonder people are confused.
    I'm not confused about the teachings of the Bible, I'm asking about how someone can be Christian and Wiccan due to their conflicting beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I'm not confused about the teachings of the Bible, I'm asking about how someone can be Christian and Wiccan due to their conflicting beliefs.
    with religions it is typically either/or.... you can't really be a Hindu and a Muslim at the same time, or a Roman Catholic as well as a Protestant....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    The devil is the father of all lies and as the bible says he comes to kill, steal and destroy.

The devil is the master of confusion. Unfortunately people who are not born again, renewed in their minds and filled with the Holy Spirit make up a religion to suit themselves. They can call it whatever they wish but if it doesn't agree with God's word then it isn't from Him.

Many people call themselves Christian and haven't got the foggiest idea what it means to be a Christian or what Christians believe in. They have never read the bible and have never been inside a church or heard any preaching.

In our school one of the mums ran psychic fairs and was Jewish. Another contradiction in terms.

Leviticus 19:31 “Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 20:6 “If a person turns to mediums and necromancers, whoring after them, I will set my face against that person and will cut him off from among his people.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)

In our school one of the mums ran physic fairs and was Jewish. Another contradiction in terms.

did you mean physics ?

ReputationRep:
    did you mean physics ?
    psychic fairs

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.