Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to do a masters in Int Rel... but doing an undergrad in languages! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can I have some advice please!

I'm currently at my third year of University studying French and Italian at a Russell Group university in the UK. I originally wanted to do French and International Relations, but later changed to studying two languages.

I'm aware that I have good career prospects by studying two languages, but unlike many people I know who are studying languages, I don't want to do a translation/interpretation masters, and instead would love to do a Masters in International Relations/Development.

During University, I have chosen to study modules involving history and politics, so that I can show this on my transcript when I graduate, and obviously to keep up my awareness of current affairs.

However, what I want to know is, is this enough? Am I able to apply for Masters courses without having an Undergrad in Politics? And if not, what can I do to make myself be accepted?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely fine, someone in my masters cohort (International Politics) last year got a full fee scholarship off the back of a French degree. You just have to write a strong personal statement demonstrating and interest and good potential for aptitude in the subject, as well as doing a bit of background research on the course, department, issues and key texts in the subject area.

ReputationRep:
    MSc IR is an inter-disciplinary master's, it means that students come from humanities and mostly social sciences background. Your language, history and politics modules will prepare you well. Incidentally you need at least a 2:1, good references and personal statements why MSc IR. Some internships in policy related work is conducive. The subject background shows that most did social sciences, but some did languages, law or philosophy. MSc IR core modules: governance, political economy, policy analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isarlc)
    Can I have some advice please!

I'm currently at my third year of University studying French and Italian at a Russell Group university in the UK. I originally wanted to do French and International Relations, but later changed to studying two languages.

I'm aware that I have good career prospects by studying two languages, but unlike many people I know who are studying languages, I don't want to do a translation/interpretation masters, and instead would love to do a Masters in International Relations/Development.

During University, I have chosen to study modules involving history and politics, so that I can show this on my transcript when I graduate, and obviously to keep up my awareness of current affairs.

However, what I want to know is, is this enough? Am I able to apply for Masters courses without having an Undergrad in Politics? And if not, what can I do to make myself be accepted?

Thank you!
    I know someone currently doing an IR Master's having taken Drama at undergraduate level, so I doubt that languages are an insurmountable obstacle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.