The Student Room Group

MA completed-distance learning- Which next distance learning university for PHD?

Hi,
I completed my MA via Edge Hill back in 2012-distance learning while I was in Dubai.
I am in real need for support, guidance to complete an EDd or Phd in the same mode from a well-recognized university in the UK?
Some universities will not acknowledge the MA and others dont have the flexibility of distance learning.
I am not from the UK and am not really aware of the best options and or pathways I should take. However, I am very fond of the system and have high hopes that someone would share his/her experience of their pursuing postgraduate studies via distance learning in a UK university that is internationally accredited.
Edge hill unfortunately doesn't have that option among its online-distance learning programs? US online programs on the other hand, find it difficult to decode the grading system and my application has been rejected twice already :frown:
Any recommendations.
Thanks
I don't think distance learning PhDs really exist. While depending on the nature of the thesis you may be able to do some work "from home" you will still need to liaise with your supervisor and university on a regular basis, and most these outside of perhaps Philosophy itself, or maybe Maths, will involve some degree of either practical/experimental/field, even if it's just interview or focus group based tings for questionnaire style data gathering.

Any distance learning PhD arrangements I believe would be ad-hoc as a result - you would need to contact specific admissions teams and supervisors to discuss your prospective project and situation. A fair number do have part time PhDs for working professionals in certain fields, I imagine including education, if that's your area of interest. However it's also worth noting an EdD and a PhD are not the same, and have some subtle differences in the nature and scope of the research and how it's carried out.

However based on a cursory google search it seems the Open University offer an EdD, and as they're a distance learning provider only, I imagine it will be in some capacity completed in this way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending