Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I’m 16 but I hate alcohol/smoking/drugs Watch

I’m currently 16 but I have never smoked in my life and I absolutely hate the idea of it - the smoke I smell in public is awful. I sometimes have small sips of alcohol at dinner but I would never drink a proper glass of alcohol - I prefer juice. I also have no desire to take drugs either. These are all things that some younger people do at parties. Is it common for younger people to completely avoid taking drugs/alcohol and even avoid doing so for their whole lives?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    hah u suck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m currently 16 but I have never smoked in my life and I absolutely hate the idea of it - the smoke I smell in public is awful. I sometimes have small sips of alcohol at dinner but I would never drink a proper glass of alcohol - I prefer juice. I also have no desire to take drugs either. These are all things that some younger people do at parties. Is it common for younger people to completely avoid taking drugs/alcohol and even avoid doing so for their whole lives?
    No one cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomas Darcy)
    hah u suck
    That’s not very mature

I'm 18 now, but I've always been the same as you. Went on my graduation trip after finishing my IB exams and I didn't have one alcoholic drink, smoke or do drugs... it's something that really doesn't appeal to me

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I completely agree with you. I hate alcohol, drugs and smoking. I’ve never come into contact with drugs as I’m not a party goer, the only parties I would go to are with a small group of close friends who don’t take drugs either. They do drink quite a bit but they understand that I really don’t like it so they don’t force me to have some too. The closest I’ve been to people smoking at parties is at after party for prom, someone brought cigarettes and everyone started smoking but I went home with my best friend before it started. I’m glad that there is someone out there who agrees with me!

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt anyone cares if you avoid it. It's your choice, whether it's "common" to avoid it or not. I've drank a bit and smoked before, and tbh dude it's not worth it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    That’s not very mature
    but comon dude who doesnt have a drink now and again

ReputationRep:
    Dude just by looking at your profile we can all tell you're a raging alcholoic

ReputationRep:
    ppl who have common sense and they dont wanna risk damaging their bodies, yh man those type of ppl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Spearing)
    Dude just by looking at your profile we can all tell you're a raging alcholoic
    That's not very nice :'(

ReputationRep:
    That's not very nice :'(
    Sorry i'm sure you're a very nice man

ReputationRep:
    People who want to be healthy. There’s literally no benefit to drinking it. Besides, who doesn’t love an innocent smoothie instead of beer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty similar to you. I'm nearly 17 and I've never smoked, though I've unfortunately inhaled second-hand smoke from my mother. I've never smoked myself though or used a vape. I have drank but only in small dosages. My friends have drunk but only one has got excessively drunk, and that was back when we were Year 10 so she doesn't drink excessively any more. The closest I've been to drunk is tipsy. I'm not going to lie; I have drank alcohol with my friends but I'm sensible so I've drank in moderation. I'm not prepared to be reckless and let myself fall for peer pressure or get drunk. I've drank a few times with my friends but they know I'm sensible with alcohol which is fine. I am never going to touch drugs of any sort, though. It's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    People who want to be healthy. There’s literally no benefit to drinking it. Besides, who doesn’t love an innocent smoothie instead of beer?
    Innocent smoothies are my life,💖💖💖

ReputationRep:
    Never done drugs or smoked and it has worked out fine for me! If you don't enjoy it, then don't do it, you can have fun without all 3 of them!

You are not alone, this generation has the lowest rate of people smoking, drinking and doing drugs. For example "The amount of teenagers using illegal drugs has halved since 2001."
    • Very Important Poster

Except they arent really that healthy as they are packed full of natural sugar.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, it does NOT matter. I'm sorta the same. I will never smoke - I know someone close to me who got cancer because of smoking, it's such an unhealthy, horrendous habit/industry to get into/support - and I will also never take illegal drugs for the same reasons. I don't wanna get arrested, I don't wanna get mental and physical health problems and I just wanna have a healthy, happy, fulfilling life (Cheesy, I know, but at least I'm the bigger, better person).
    I do drink, however, but drinking is NOT as bad as smoking or drugs, trust me.
    So yeah I may be a pussyy, but at least I'll have a longer life, a brilliant job that'll support me and my family and I'll have a healthy body that i'm proud of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Except they arent really that healthy as they are packed full of natural sugar.
    That’s true but they’re soooo good! 😋

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my early 20's and have never really smoked or taken drugs, but I do drink. And honestly some of the best/ funniest times of my life have been when I've been out with my friends having some drinks. I only drink once or twice a week usually but it is a very social thing to do and I personally enjoy it However I didn't really start drinking until I was 17/18 so if it's worrying you and you would like to do it at some point then you have time!
    On the other hand my life has probably been better or at least unchanged by not smoking or taking drugs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.