Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying for MA Philosophy as a mature student and I'm wondering if my personal statement could be TOO personal (is there such a thing?)
    I started Philosophy A level many years ago and initially applied for a BA. However, I was in a terrible situation with my abusive family at the time, with both parents having mental health issues and toxic behaviour (determined to destroy anything good around them). I got As at the end of my first year and I didn't sit my final exams as they were dragging me into their whirlwind of chaos and unfortunately I was seriously depressed and in a bad way.
    So, now the good news - I am now estranged from them and once I sorted myself out, I did an Open University degree and got a first. A big motivator for me is reclaiming important things I had lost and this is one of those things. Should I include this history on my personal statement? I know they want a personal statement to be personal so do you think this is inspiring/ I'm playing the victim/ inappropriate... trying to find a better way to rephrase it!

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Include it by all means but only briefly mention details, instead write about how it has developed you and made you better now (I.e more motivated, independent or w/e)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Mathematician-)
    Include it by all means but only briefly mention details, instead write about how it has developed you and made you better now (I.e more motivated, independent or w/e)
    Yes obviously - I don't want to harp on about the past but I want to explain what motivates me! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That kind of thing should be in the reference rather than in a personal statement, and also they're not going to look at your A levels, only your degree record, so it's irrelevant anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink*fairy)
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying for MA Philosophy as a mature student and I'm wondering if my personal statement could be TOO personal (is there such a thing?)
    I started Philosophy A level many years ago and initially applied for a BA. However, I was in a terrible situation with my abusive family at the time, with both parents having mental health issues and toxic behaviour (determined to destroy anything good around them). I got As at the end of my first year and I didn't sit my final exams as they were dragging me into their whirlwind of chaos and unfortunately I was seriously depressed and in a bad way.
    So, now the good news - I am now estranged from them and once I sorted myself out, I did an Open University degree and got a first. A big motivator for me is reclaiming important things I had lost and this is one of those things. Should I include this history on my personal statement? I know they want a personal statement to be personal so do you think this is inspiring/ I'm playing the victim/ inappropriate... trying to find a better way to rephrase it!

Many thanks
    Maybe get someone to write about your previous extenuating circumstances in your reference? Probably a better to place to write it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    That kind of thing should be in the reference rather than in a personal statement, and also they're not going to look at your A levels, only your degree record, so it's irrelevant anyway.
    Yes, true - I will try writing my personal statement a few times and sleep on it, I could probably not include it at all as I have a lot to say already. The reason I thought to include it at all is that it's the truth and I'm returning to the subject after 20 years so they will naturally wonder why! Oh well, a few drafts later and I'll work it out!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks
    Ideally, it might not be best if you only include this, which I understand that you already know. Speak more on the lines of your academic achievements and how your experiences have helped you strive for you. Include your work experience if any and also explain why coming back to doing this is important of you and how it is going to help you in the future. If you cover all this you should be good.

ReputationRep:
    I think focus more on your academic achievements, extra and super curriculars etc, volunteering, work experience. Mentioning too much about personal lives takes away from the already minimal amount of characters you have to discuss your achievements! However, speak to your tutors and see what they suggest as they know you personally.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would ask someone to explain that in your reference because that gives you more space to talk about your achievements etc. They'll still understand the circumstances around your studies and view your achievements with those in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone - I've done some editing and worked it out. Yes - I emphasised my achievements, specific interests and aptitude... as it's PG level I've heard it's rare to get rejections and I have a strong application without it,

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone - I've done some editing and worked it out. Yes - I emphasised my achievements, specific interests and aptitude... as it's PG level I've heard it's rare to get rejections and I have a strong application without it,

Thanks again!
    Good luck. Let me know how it goes x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.