The Student Room Group

How many books should one read?

Deleted.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I read lots of fiction books because I find them way more interesting and spark my imagination more, whatever suits you really
I do wish that I read more and have tried to take an active role in buying more books that are somewhat 'useful' so that I find a purpose to do it.

I feel anything that you feel you can learn from is good, around 10 minutes before going to bed is probably a good time
I think a person should read at their own pace. You shouldn't force yourself to read over your limit as then you aren't really absorbing what you read, just staring at ink on paper. Personally, I read a fictional or non-fictional book every week. I choose books that interest me personally. No, reading isn't pointless as you always end up learning something new, be it vocab, events or idioms.
I probably average a book a month. I wish I spent more time reading but I have other hobbies too and it's hard to find the time. Having a kindle helps as it's so easy to carry around. I do tend to go in fits and starts though, I read a lot when I'm into a book and then tend to take a couple weeks off before the next one.
Reply 5
Original post by catmckie
In a week/month/year or even lifetime?

It's well-known that reading reduces stress, makes you think, improves memory and focus and expands your own vocabulary. Steve Jobs himself advocated daily reading and got a lot of inspiration from the fictional novels that he read. Non-Fiction books are just as good in sparking motivation and stimulating your mind.

What do you think about this? Do you wish you read more? Do you think it's pointless? How much do you read and how much do you think you should?

Moved to Books, literature and comics. :biggrin:

To answer the original question, I believe a person should read as much as they are comfortable with. I think it would be great if someone could read a book once in a while or even two books a month (my personal ideal) and if they could read the classics, but I cannot force anyone to do so.

I definitely wish I could read more. I used to read at least a book a month; my record is finishing a book every day for eight days. However, this year I have not had much time to read. :sad: Nowadays, I just read whatever fragments I need for my degree. :s-smilie:
I read alot...The most I've read is 5 books all online in 2 days.
Original post by catmckie
In a week/month/year or even lifetime?

It's well-known that reading reduces stress, makes you think, improves memory and focus and expands your own vocabulary. Steve Jobs himself advocated daily reading and got a lot of inspiration from the fictional novels that he read. Non-Fiction books are just as good in sparking motivation and stimulating your mind.

What do you think about this? Do you wish you read more? Do you think it's pointless? How much do you read and how much do you think you should?

I wish I read more but sometimes life just gets in the way, and the to-read list just gets longer :sigh: I think I would read some more if had some sort of e-reader, because from what reviews say it seems easier to get free books. :smile: (doing AS levels a couple of years ago nearly killed my love of reading. ) If you enjoy the book you'll probably read it faster though.
One a week (or month if its long) and people shouldn't simply read fiction. Non fiction books are the key to knowledge.
i buy about 4 books a week ( 50p each max :teehee: )... i read one a week.... thus have a huge mound of unread books in my librarium.
So many as it is possible. Reading is not the same, if it does not please you or you just don't have the time to spend for it. Actually, I have a lot time, but I have hardly reading. I am trying to read a book in a week at least, no matter what kind. But if I am not in the mood for books, I don't read.
I am a really fast reader, I can read a normal sized book in one day but it depends entirely on the book.

To answer your other question, I believe that people should read as much as they want to, if a person isn't comfortable with reading a lot of books they shouldn't be forced or pressured into doing so but reading will help you relax and help you focus.

I have read so many books over the last couple of years and it has helped me so much, my vocabulary is a lot better and my writing has improved. I can now write creative writing much easily as all of these books have helped expand my imagination. Also reading helps me relax, whenever I feel stressed or unhappy I turn to reading.
I definitely want to try and read more, I feel like I put less time to it than I used to. For me I like aiming for a book or two a week at least, but that's more so because I enjoy it as an activity than for an actual goal.
Original post by shadowdweller
I definitely want to try and read more, I feel like I put less time to it than I used to. For me I like aiming for a book or two a week at least, but that's more so because I enjoy it as an activity than for an actual goal.

Reading at your own pace will make you feel comfortable and it will help you enjoy the book you are reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending