Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Half of women" sexually harassed at work Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Half of British women and a fifth of men have been sexually harassed at work or a place of study, a BBC survey says.

Of the women who said they had been harassed, 63% said they didn't report it to anyone, and 79% of the male victims kept it to themselves.

The survey, which was conducted by Radio 5 and spoke to 2,000 people, was commissioned following multiple allegations against Harvey Wienstein and the subsequent #MeToo social media campaign.

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Does this statistic shock you? What could be done to combat this?

ReputationRep:
    51% of students are sexually assaulted at Universities too

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4860026

ReputationRep:
    It’s quite vague really, the study says it ranges all the way from an inappropriate joke to actual assault. I think they should have broken it down further
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangelySocial)
    51% of students are sexually assaulted at Universities too

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4860026
    I think it says a lot about perception that trans students were most likely to be sexually harassed and asexual students were most likely to be assaulted
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It uses an incredibly flimsy definition of sexual harassment, as if they defined it in such a way as to increase the figure, for instance it seems one "banterous" comment would count as sexual harassment, not that it defines what counts as an inappropriate joke given that too is highly subjective.

ReputationRep:
    More than a quarter of people surveyed had suffered harassment in the form of inappropriate jokes
    lol @ feminism

ReputationRep:
    I'm always sexually harassed and I don't report it because it's no big deal. If it becomes assault then I might report even though I've been assaulted and haven't reported in real life but I reported like **** pics sometimes 😤.

Sexually harassed just means they used sexual intimidation against you to bribe you or something. If someone squeezes your ass then that's assault. We're talking about harassment which may or may not encase assault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It uses an incredibly flimsy definition of sexual harassment, as if they defined it in such a way as to increase the figure, for instance it seems one "banterous" comment would count as sexual harassment, not that it defines what counts as an inappropriate joke given that too is highly subjective.
    Lol give me an example of banter in the workplace that can be deemed harassing..

ReputationRep:
    "Half of British women and a fifth of men [who we surveyed] have been sexually harassed at work or a place of study."

It is ludicrous to pass off 2000 respondents as representative of the British public. Also you have to question the responsiveness of respondents: how many people are actively going to pick up a phone or complete a survey to loudly pronounce that they have not been sexually assaulted. Naturally, the people who are the most invested in this topic are going to be more likely to respond, and the people who are the most invested are those who have been sexually assaulted.

And as pretty much everyone else has commented, the definition of sexually harassed is far too vague.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Lol give me an example of banter in the workplace that can be deemed harassing..
    I don't know, I'm not one of the people claiming to have been harassed based on banter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I don't know, I'm not one of the people claiming to have been harassed based on banter.
    I know but I thought even if you didn't agree you understood. I don't understand it myself. 😕

Maybe they mean perverted comments

ReputationRep:
    Jumping on the #MeToo bandwagon :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think for that to be true, it would indeed have to be a very tenuous definition of "sexual harrassment".
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Maybe sexual harassment should be explicitly defined so that we don't get people saying they've been sexually harassed when they actually haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Jumping on the #MeToo bandwagon :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In 2009 whilst I was walking towards the school library, a girl pinched my ass and proceeded to giggle.

#MeToo
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad some of you find this so funny...

ReputationRep:
    The power structures are pursuing an active agenda against the straight while male. Its everywhere over the last five years, everywhere you look theres a transgender or LGBT history month and there is always an assumption a single white male in the vicinity of a group of females is automatically a potential stalker and inevitably the word creep is thrown around like confetti.

In reality what we have is now three generations of militant feminism where no action is really taken against persistent promiscuous single mothers or militant homosexuals. We have constant pushing of this Frankfurt school anti christian marxism which is eroding all traces of the traditional white Christian family.

The best way to reduce sexual harassment is to restore traditionally male industries and separate male/female in to their traditional gender roles. Instead the globalists have done the opposite and forced everyone together male, female, pole, black, gay and it just doesn't work. Men dont particularly want to work in teams with women but the structure of the society has been totally altered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I'm glad some of you find this so funny...
    We dont find actually sexual harrasment or assult funny, but we just need to know what "harassed" means.

Is someone telling a **** joke and a woman hears it harrasment?
    is someone saying "you look nice today" harrasment?

We need to know what exactly is being constituted as harrasment, I bet some of the things the surveyed people thought was harrasment others would say is not harassment.

We need a "Have you ever been touched innapropriatly at a place of work" not a "have you been harassed"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    We dont find actually sexual harrasment or assult funny, but we just need to know what "harassed" means.

Is someone telling a **** joke and a woman hears it harrasment?
    is someone saying "you look nice today" harrasment?

We need to know what exactly is being constituted as harrasment, I bet some of the things the surveyed people thought was harrasment others would say is not harassment.

We need a "Have you ever been touched innapropriatly at a place of work" not a "have you been harassed"
    It's really not a mystery! Just ****ing Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    It's really not a mystery! Just ****ing Google.
    Just because there is a definition of something does not mean that everyone thinks it means the same thing, especially with words that can cover such a broad subject or such a topical subject.

If I said to 1000 people "Have you ever been drunk" we all understand what drunk means and there are definitions but some might think "well I have been a bit tipsy but not drunk" others might think that being drunk implies a loss of rational thought.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.