• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuropeanBlood)
    *******s, feminist propaganda ********
    Care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    And it is this attitude that is the problem. Unwanted sexual comments are sexual harassment.

regarding the "unwanted" part

That Harvey dude right now has a string of women coming out the woodwork saying he sexually harrased/sexually assaulted/raped them ....but I wonder if things would be differant if he was actually good looking ...and had Ben Afflecks looks for example. Would the women kick up a fuss then?

Ben Affleck apologised recently for sexually assaulting hilarie burton who played peyton in one tree hill by grabbing her breast.

I watched the original incident and comments by hilary on youtube. She was shocked but not offended or traumatised at all, ..in fact I think she liked it.....

It seems women are far more likely complain and be outraged by this sort of behavior if the guy is fat/old/not good looking aka mr Harvey ...than some young stud

If Harvey Weinstein had Ben Afflecks looks and had done what he he did done he would be receiving a fraction of the complaints he is currently getting.......
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)

That Harvey dude right now has a string of women coming out the woodwork saying he sexually harrased/sexually assaulted/raped them ....but I wonder if things would be differant if he was actually good looking ...and had Ben Afflecks looks for example. Would the women kick up a fuss then?

Ben Affleck apologised recently for sexually assaulting hilarie burton who played peyton in one tree hill by grabbing her breast.

I watched the original incident and comments by hilary on youtube. She was shocked but not offended or traumatised at all, ..in fact I think she liked it.....

It seems women are far more likely complain and be outraged by this sort of behavior if the guy is fat/old/not good looking aka mr Harvey ...than some young stud

If Harvey Weinstein had Ben Afflecks looks and had done what he he did done he would be receiving a fraction of the complaints he is currently getting.......
    It's nothing to do with looks.

Why do I get the impression you're trying to justify sexual harassment? Utterly bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's nothing to do with looks.

Why do I get the impression you're trying to justify sexual harassment? Utterly bizarre.

I'm not trying to justify it, but just trying to highlight that sexually assaults/harassment complaints are influenced heavily by the attractiveness of the male perpetrator

I've never seen a good looking male celebrity have a barrage of women jump out the woodwork and start accusing him of rape/sexually assult before.......
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to justify it, but just trying to highlight that sexually assaults/harassment complaints are influenced heavily by the attractiveness of the male perpetrator

I've never seen a good looking male celebrity have a barrage of women jump out the woodwork and start accusing him of rape/sexually assult before.......
    Just because you haven't seen it happen, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And what about cases where it's someone who isn't a celebrity? The cases you probably won't know about.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you haven't seen it happen, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. And what about cases where it's someone who isn't a celebrity? The cases you probably won't know about.

If there are cases like that they will be a heck of a lot rarer than if the guy is good looking...

honestly, some clever science boffin somewhere could probably reliably calculate a mans chances of getting done for sexually assault/harrasment just by how good looking he his

if Harvey Weinstein had grabbed Hillary's breast like that, would she have been all giggly and smiling when giving her view on it? ....or would we be reading in the papers right now that she's filed another complaint against him along with the 50 or so others....
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If there are cases like that they will be a heck of a lot rarer than if the guy is good looking...

honestly, some clever science boffin somewhere could probably reliably calculate a mans chances of getting done for sexually assault/harrasment just by how good looking he his

if Harvey Weinstein had grabbed Hillary's breast like that, would she have been all giggly and smiling when giving her view on it? ....or would we be reading in the papers right now that she's filed another complaint against him along with the 50 or so others....
    It's sod all to do with looks.

You really are clueless, aren't you? Unwanted attention is unwanted attention.

ReputationRep:
    It's sod all to do with looks.

You really are clueless, aren't you? Unwanted attention is unwanted attention.

It's definitely to do with looks

women are much more unlikely to turn a blind eye to socially unacceptable behavior from males who are average/below average than males who are handsome, and yes that includes unwanted attention
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely to do with looks

women are much more unlikely to turn a blind eye to socially unacceptable behavior from males who are average/below average than males who are handsome, and yes that includes unwanted attention
    That's your opinion. And this is my last comment to you. You really don't get it and are quite clearly trying to justify harassment. How vile.

ReputationRep:
    That's your opinion. And this is my last comment to you. You really don't get it and are quite clearly trying to justify harassment. How vile.

I'm not trying to justify sexual harassment

i'm just stating some hard to hear truth's about it

listen, if you don't believe me just knock up a fake profile of a handsome guy, and one of a below average guy [or even average guy] and put them both on pof, and start messaging women with crude sexually explicit upfront openers

the below average guy will get banned 10 x faster than the handsome one

ReputationRep:
    Disrespectful treatment of women seems rife. In many situations it's probably mildish and accepted as part of the rough and tumble of life. Often it seems it is much worse. The abuse of power to manipulate people is a vile betrayal of trust even if not criminal. Hopefully the light that is now being shone in dark corners will help. Depressing though that Trump was elected despite his awful comments, dismissed as locker room talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Depressing though that Trump was elected despite his awful comments, dismissed as locker room talk.

I was surprised he got in tbh, several women came out of the woodwork and accused him of having octopus hands/sexual assault

but as it turns out quite a significant percentage of women voted for him..

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised he got in tbh, several women came out of the woodwork and accused him of having octopus hands/sexual assault

but as it turns out quite a significant percentage of women voted for him..
    yes, that's what fazed me. Not to mention the self confessed abuse of power enabled sexual assaults. It's a crazy world.

ReputationRep:

You are one of those people that think women want it from good looking men but are put off by ugly men?

Much aside from the fact that we can really see you for what disgusting filth you are, even if that is true it still means nothing. Ugly men can't go around saying "well they'd love it if I was hot, so I am just gonna do it".

ReputationRep:

Maybe because said person doesn't need to sexually harass women because he can get them, whereas ugly creeps can't but their entitlement makes them think they have a right anyway so they just take it.

Anyway, I am done with you, read some more of your posts, utter filth. Absolutely despicable how you view women, and sexual harassment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Maybe because said person doesn't need to sexually harass women because he can get them, whereas ugly creeps can't but their entitlement makes them think they have a right anyway so they just take it.

Anyway, I am done with you, read some more of your posts, utter filth. Absolutely despicable how you view women, and sexual harassment.

There is definitely a feminist who posts a lot with the letter Y as her username I can't remember if you're this feminist woman or just some random pleb

but here, i'll leave this here for you and others who claim women arn't more likely to turn a blind eye to stuff an attractive man does as opposed to an unattractive man..

[be sure to read his profile]

https://s1.postimg.org/84av33fowf/some_experiment.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/GpoEJnL0Awlpu/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/cbx3vDI7jvJLi/giphy.gif

ReputationRep:
    Care to elaborate?
    Well, as was pointed out on the first page, the definition of 'sexual harassment' used in the survey appears to include being subject to 'inappropriate jokes'.

More than a quarter of people surveyed had suffered harassment in the form of inappropriate jokes or "banter"
    Whatever the BBC's intent, I'm afraid the effect of this is to spin this into a larger scale problem than it actually is. Unfortunately, because this leads to an incredible claim about the scale of the problem, the result is entirely counterproductive. It undermines the credibility of those seeking to draw attention to the issue and trivialises the problem faced by the proportion of those 50% of women who have been subject to actual harassment.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people are focusing on the fact that jokes come under sexual harassment. Even if you negate that, the issue is still a concern. Having spoken to women it seems like many have been inappropriately touched and worse.

And words can come under harassment. Repeated sexual advances also constitute as harassment.

It's pathetic that the "internet right wing" are back again and are trying to discredit the entire survey because of the off chance that a few of them aren't harassment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daario333)
    It's pathetic that the "internet right wing" are back again and are trying to discredit the entire survey because of the off chance that a few of them aren't harassment.
    The thing is surveys like this discredit themselves by making implausible claims based on wider definitions than most readers would accept. People need to learn that if you want to make claims and have people listen to you, you need to be careful with things like this. It shouldn't be difficult.

My theory in this case is that the BBC used a very wide definition because they were afraid of being subject to complaints that they were excluding people who thought they had also suffered 'harassment'. The price of this safe, inoffensive approach is that the survey loses credibility with anyone who doesn't already consider himself a dedicated feminist. In other cases wide definitions have been used for the purpose of exaggeration from the outset. In either case the result is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    The thing is surveys like this discredit themselves by making implausible claims based on wider definitions than most readers would accept. People need to learn that if you want to make claims and have people listen to you, you need to be careful with things like this. It shouldn't be difficult.

My theory in this case is that the BBC used a very wide definition because they were afraid of being subject to complaints that they were excluding people who thought they had also suffered 'harassment'. The price of this safe, inoffensive approach is that the survey loses credibility with anyone who doesn't already consider himself a dedicated feminist. In other cases wide definitions have been used for the purpose of exaggeration from the outset. In either case the result is the same.
    They never discredited themselves. You discredited it. It can't be dismissed wholly because it includes things that you dont necessarily deem as harassment. A sexual "joke" directed at someone can be harassment if it's repeated.

That's a very ridiculous theory. Why on earth will they be subject to complaints? Do you really think there are THAT many super sensitive people who think jokes are harassment and then complain? Your theory is dumb. You're making a fallacy of presumption.
    Want to know what's dumber though? Denying that an issue exists because a survey was conducted that was too vague.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.